Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

increase in rental

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1increase in rental Empty increase in rental Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm

micahgabrielle

Arresto Menor

Hi Attys.,

My father has inherited a 4-door apartment in Quezon City, but ever since my grandfather died (2007), my father didn't increase the monthly rental (Php 4,000) for reasons I don not actually know. This year, I have talked to my dad that it's now time for him to increase the monthly rental fee, I've browsed thru the net and came accross the Rent Control act of 2009.
I would just like to verify if 7% applies to us? which means, if the rental fee is 4,000php a month, then we can only increase up to 280php? or are there any provisions that we can increase the rental fee let's say for example due to change of Lessor? (since my grandfather died already). Thank you and hope you could help me.. God bless! Smile

2increase in rental Empty Re: increase in rental Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm

jd888

You are CORRECT.

On July 14, 2009, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed into law the Rent Control Act of 2009 which will supposedly protect millions of Filipinos renting houses around the country.

Republic Act (RA) 9653, “An Act Establishing Reforms in the Regulation of Rent of Certain Residential Units, Providing the Mechanisms Therefore and For Other Purposes,” effectively extended the old Rent Control law (RA 9341) that expired on December 31, 2008.

Salient Provisions of the new Rent Control Act

The law covers all residential units in Metro Manila with a monthly rent of P1 to P10,000 and all units in urban cities with a monthly rent of P1 to P5,000.

Rented units which are used as motels, motel rooms, hotels and hotel rooms are not covered. Units under the rent-to-own scheme are also not covered.

There is a one-year moratorium on rent increases from the time the law takes effect, meaning, from now until next year, there should be no increases in the rent prices of affected units.

After such period until December 31, 2013, the increase in rent should not be more than 7% percent annually.

Boarding houses, dormitories, rooms and bedspaces offered for rent to students can only increase their rents once a year.

Owners of residential units cannot demand more than one-month advance rent and more than two-months deposit.

Violators face a fine of P25,000 to P50,000, or imprisonment of one month and a day up to six months, or both.

Although the law is commendable, we believe its effectiveness may be hampered because of three things.

First, tenants must be made aware that such a law exists so that they will know their rights.

Second, tenants who may have complaints about their landlords must know the proper avenue where they can air their grievance.

Lastly, complaints must be dealt with swiftly and properly so that justice will be served for both the landlord and tenant.

http://www.chanrobles.com/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum