Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bag checks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bag checks Empty Bag checks Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 pm

bigibigi

Arresto Menor

Is it legal for supermarkets to conduct a bag search after a customer already paid for his/her items?

2Bag checks Empty Re: Bag checks Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 am

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

Of course. It is well-within their right to protect their premises from would-be shoplifters.

3Bag checks Empty Re: Bag checks Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:59 pm

bigibigi

Arresto Menor

What if the customer refused? And there is no evidence that he/she got something from the store. Can the customer sue the owner?

4Bag checks Empty Re: Bag checks Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:06 pm

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

Why would the customer even refuse? Unless there is an acceptable reason for the customer's refusal, he should subject himself to the search. If the customer is innocent and has nothing to hide, the search should be made without issue.

Again, the store has the right to protect itself from shoplifters. A cursory search should not hurt any customer, especially when the safety of the store is at stake.

5Bag checks Empty Re: Bag checks Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:21 pm

bigibigi

Arresto Menor

Thanks...but is there really a law under the philippine constitution about this? Is this under warrantless search? Sorry if i am asking a lot of questions...this is for a research project

6Bag checks Empty Re: Bag checks Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

If it is for a research project, then I am not the most credible source that you should be talking to.

You should be talking to a lawyer or a law professor who is teaching constitutional law in a university. That way, you can definitely cite them on your research and it will be accepted.

Offhand, I believe warrantless searches is not a proper defense for the customer. Warrantless searches are to be made against government officials (police, soldiers, etc) who are conducting illegal searches without a proper warrant issued by a judge. It CANNOT be used against private individuals or a company who are conducting routine inspection on their customers.

Good luck on your research.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum