Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Information Technology Agreement - IT products import duty-free?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor

Hello Sir/Madam,

I would like to inquire if the "Information Technology Agreement" is in effect here in the Philippines?
I have a shipment package being held by the Customs, specifically a "Warranty replacement Computer Mouse".

From what I have read, ITA (Information Technology Agreement) eliminates import duties on Information Technology products. My item falls under Computer Peripherals as listed in Attachment A1 (page 118).
usitc.gov/publications/332/journals/05_andersonmohs_itagreement.pdf

If ITA is in effect in our country, haggling this in the Customs is really a major roadblock to our advancement in technology.
My question is, do i have the right to have zero importation charges (as stated in ITA) for this IT product item? Given it's also a warranty replacement.

I have put the links below for easy reference about ITA:

web.ita.doc.gov/ITI/itiHome.nsf/9b2cb14bda00318585256cc40068ca69/de1ea002117f656885256d11007369c1?OpenDocument

usitc.gov/publications/332/journals/05_andersonmohs_itagreement.pdf

wto.org/english/tratop_e/inftec_e/itaintro_e.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Technology_Agreement

usitc.gov/publications/332/pub4382.pdf

Thank you so much and God bless for having this pro bono.

2Information Technology Agreement - IT products import duty-free? Empty Executive Order 163 Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:53 pm

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor

Also I have read
Executive Order 163:
tariffcommission.gov.ph/eo-163
gov.ph/2003/01/10/executive-order-no-163/

Does this eliminate the import duty of ICT a.k.a. IT products? Especially a computer peripheral?

Also using Tariff finder, I search for the tariff of "computer peripheral", the result is 0% rate:
finder.tariffcommission.gov.ph/index.php?page=tariff-finder3

Could someone verify this if ICT products are indeed import duty free

Last edited by krisemmanuelyg on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

marlo

Reclusion Perpetua

You mean tax for a computer mouse? Goodness, those custom guys are really certified crocs!

From where did you buy your PC mouse btw?

krisemmanuelyg

Arresto Menor

marlo wrote:
You mean tax for a computer mouse? Goodness, those custom guys are really certified crocs!

From where did you buy your PC mouse btw?

Hi, I bought it here in the Philippines. After few months it has malfunctioned so I contacted the manufacturer and they honored the warranty and sent me a replacement mouse for no cost. But sadly it is still in the customs, because they are requiring me to pay for importation even thought there's a special label on the box "Warranty Replacement Mice". Are ICT/IT products commonly import duty free or is this haggling only happens in my area.

marlo

Reclusion Perpetua

Im not so sure. The manufacturer could have declared a nifty total costs of the item that could had waived any import fees or might have triggered attraction of fees somehow.

Yes It is a computer peripheral but it's just a simple PC mouse that they could just let go.

Was it delivered via FedEx or DHL? or postal ?

I would buy a local mouse instead of wasting my time and transpo going back and forth with those crocs... GL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum