Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

***termination of contract of lease for rented unit***

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

akustik82

Arresto Menor

hi attorneys,

im currently leasing a two-bedroom apartment. recently my landlord said that he is planning to renovate the only bathroom in the unit. there are some repairs needed to be done with the bathroom fixtures; the landlord's main reason, though, is to expand the bathroom's area. thus there will be a considerable amount of work that would be done.
there is an outdoor bathroom a 10-20 meters away from the rented unit; it can be easily reached if the weather is fine. but if it's raining, it's very inconvenient to rush to the outdoor bathroom when one needs to heed nature's call.
i've done some research and found out that the lessee is only obliged to tolerate work if there's an urgent need for repair. however, the bathroom is still in good condition.
am i obliged to tolerate non-urgent repair work in the rented unit?
enjoying easy access to a bathroom is an essential part of civilized life. i feel that it is not just to do some bathroom renovation work and deprive me and my family easy access to a bathroom while im still renting the unit. can i use this as a ground to cancel our contract of lease?

thank you for your time reading this.

Sincerely,
RA

attyLLL

the applicable provision in the civil code states:

Art. 1662. If during the lease it should become necessary to make some urgent repairs upon the thing leased, which cannot be deferred until the termination of the lease, the lessee is obliged to tolerate the work, although it may be very annoying to him, and although during the same, he may be deprived of a part of the premises.

If the repairs last more than forty days the rent shall be reduced in proportion to the time - including the first forty days - and the part of the property of which the lessee has been deprived.

When the work is of such a nature that the portion which the lessee and his family need for their dwelling becomes uninhabitable, he may rescind the contract if the main purpose of the lease is to provide a dwelling place for the lessee.

i recommend you put your position in writing, but keep it courteous. how long are the repairs supposed to take?

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

akustik82

Arresto Menor

Thanks for the response, atty.
the bathroom does not need urgent repair since it is still in good condition... my landlord said that renovation may take 15-20 days.
it's really inconvenient scurrying to an outdoor CR to do business considering that it rains a lot these days.
ill try to convince my landlord to put off his plan until the summer months.
may i know what action can i take if he insists to carry out his plan to renovate the bathroom?

attyLLL

file a complaint at the bgy. lock the door to prevent anyone from entering.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum