Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 6:08 am

KatieM27

Arresto Menor

My foreigner boyfriend and I wants to get married. He recently got his divorce finalized from his home country, and now we want to marry in Manila.

Our concerns are:
1. Does he have to file for recognition? FYI, they lived here in Manila. They submitted all their marriage documents for him to secure a visa.
2. From my understanding, he doesn't have to, but what does he have to do? Where do we forward his divorce papers? Do we just need to update his cenomar, to secure a marriage license?

Thank you in advance fly your help?

2Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 am

attyLLL

was his previous marriage done here in the PH? If so, it is advisable that he first files a petition for recognition of foreign judgment, else his divorce won't be recognized if someone charged you for bigamy

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 am

KatieM27

Arresto Menor

They got married in France.
Does that make a difference?

4Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 10:55 am

attyLLL

if it was recorded in the PSA here in the PH through a report of marriage submitted to the embassy/consulate, then the same applies.

some couples lessen the risk by conducting the ceremony outside of the PH, like while on vacation in a place like HK.

5Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 am

KatieM27

Arresto Menor

The divorce cost a lot, and filing a recognition will require too much resource and time.

If we decide to marry outside Ph, will it pose a problem with him securing a visa to live in Ph?

6Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 5:02 pm

KatieM27

Arresto Menor

I got this from another website, and we're totally confused.

Why is the Judicial Recognition of Foreign Divorce not a requirement as to the foreigner spouse?

Since the Philippines follow the Nationality Principle, the State accords respect to the national laws of the foreign spouse with respect to the validity of the divorce decree.

"The decree is binding on private respondent as an American citizen...aliens may obtain divorces abroad, which may be recognized in the Philippines, provided they are valid according to their national law. In this case, the divorce in Nevada released private respondent from the marriage. Thus, pursuant to his national law, Private Respondent is no longer the husband of petitioner." (Van Dorn vs. Romillo and Upton, G.R. No. L-68470, 08 October 1985)

7Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Empty Re: Foreigner wants to remarry in Ph Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 pm

attyLLL

I personally handled a case which is exactly the same as yours. the prosecutor charged the foreigner and the new spouse with bigamy in court.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum