Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

I am a foreigner with a unique situation regarding a marriage license in the Philippines--please help.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DJ_B

Arresto Menor

I have a question that I can't find the answer to.

I'm planning a wedding with my fiancee, who lives in the Philippines. We're getting married there, in Mataas na kahoy. However, there's a document that I need that I can't obtain in the Philippines because I don't have an embassy to get it from in the Philippines.

I need an affidavit that states that I'm single so that I can get married in the Philippines--it's a requirement, but the country of which I have a passport from does not have an embassy in the Philippines to offer service for that affidavit. I've lived in the US all of my life and just found out that I wasn't a citizen here. Instead, I'm a permanent resident--Is there a way that I can have a written affidavit from here in the US? If so, who would I need to notarize it to make it official so that I can use it to get married to my fiancee in the Philippines? I
can't seem to find the answers to this anywhere.

Please don't just tell me to get my U.S. citizenship--I already have that in process--but because  the processing is being delayed, we don't know how long it will take, and we decided that we wanted to continue with our plans of getting married so that I can travel back to the US and finish the process when they finally schedule me to continue on with that.

I want to know how I can obtain an ACCEPTABLE document showing proof that I'm single so that we can get our marriage license, get married, and start our life together.

Also, I have government tax documents showing that my marital status is single--would that be an appropriate document as proof if I'm not able to obtain the affidavit of legal capacity to marry?

karl rove

karl rove
Reclusion Perpetua

before I respond to your query, may I know ur citizenship?

You said that you are not a US citizen , despite the fact of your long residence thereat. You are only a permanent resident. In that case, you have to retrace your country of origin.

thank you.

email me at adpr24242000@yahoo.com for further discussion

DJ_B

Arresto Menor

Apparently, I'm an Ethiopian citizen. I have an Ethiopian passport.

DJ_B

Arresto Menor

But, the Ethiopian Embassy in the US doesn't offer any services for documents proving that I'm single.

karl rove

karl rove
Reclusion Perpetua

well, sad to state. Philippine law is so strict when it comes to mixed marriages.

What do you mean by you saying that the ethiopian embassy in the US does'nt have services such as the issuance of a certificate of contractual capacity to contract marriage? The embassy is not aware of such document or your country is not cognizant of such document?

DJ_B

Arresto Menor

Exactly. They don't have anything like that. No issuance of a certificate of contractual capacity to contract marriage. And even when I asked, they were not aware of any such document at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum