Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

outside marriage property relationship

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1outside marriage property relationship Empty outside marriage property relationship Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:00 pm

babyjan

Arresto Menor

Atty. I just wanna ask, how would the property of a man and woman that were acquired during their living together without the benefit of marriage be share? is it separate or equal? and for some instances like:
1. what if A bought land in the amount of 1,000,000 for B his (live in partner), are they have equal interest therein? If they bought the land for of both of them?
2. what if A and B living together, A acquired land for his own? does B have a right to that property?
3. what if A is married before to another woman C, A died during his live in with B, how is the property acquired by A and B be shared? does C also have the right to the property?

thanks atty.

alto_kiko

alto_kiko
Arresto Menor

Property acquired by them shall be govern by the rules of co-ownership.

3outside marriage property relationship Empty Re: outside marriage property relationship Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

Almondo

Arresto Mayor

C has a right to that property if she is his WIFE ,,,if they didnt get a Court LEGAL SEPERATION...

holofernes

Arresto Menor

babyjan wrote:Atty. I just wanna ask, how would the property of a man and woman that were acquired during their living together without the benefit of marriage be share? is it separate or equal? and for some instances like:
1. what if A bought land in the amount of 1,000,000 for B his (live in partner), are they have equal interest therein? If they bought the land for of both of them?
2. what if A and B living together, A acquired land for his own? does B have a right to that property?
3. what if A is married before to another woman C, A died during his live in with B, how is the property acquired by A and B be shared? does C also have the right to the property?

thanks atty.

The answers depend on whether one or both of the parties have the capacity to contract marriage. If both parties have the capacity to marry (i.e. not already married to others or some other impediment), Art. 147 of the Family Code applies, and property acquired during the union is subject to co-ownership.

However if one or both of the parties cannot marry, i.e. where one or both partners are already parties to a marriage to someone not in the cohabitation relationship, Art. 148 applies. Ownership is in common in proportion to the actual contributions, unless there is no proof either way, in which case the law assumes equal contribution and ownership in common.

Remember also that if a party is validly married to someone else, then his or her share in the property accrues to his or her conjugal partnership if that is the regime in the marriage.

In the case of (1) if neither party is already married the property is co-owned. If however A is married to someone else, the property will accrue to A's conjugal partnership, and any purported gift to B is voided by Art. 87.

In the case of (2), if party is within the definition of Art 147, the land is co-owned. If Art 148, and A is already married to someone else, A owns the property and it would accrue to his conjugal partnership.

In the case of (3) the property acquired by A goes to his conjugal partnership and is distributed accordingly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum