Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

time frame for filing a bigamy case

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1case - time frame for filing a bigamy case Empty time frame for filing a bigamy case Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Mrs. Doubtfire

Arresto Menor

Hello. Please help me with my question:

I would just like to know if there is a time frame for filing a bigamy case against a wife/husband like there is for an annulment?  Thank you.

I am a second wife. I married my husband knowing that he was married but he told me at that time he was wedded out of premarital sex (the woman became pregnant before their wedding) and which was a fraud (information in the marriage certificate were not true) and was a shotgun wedding. Knowing that, I married him "out of ignorance of the law". I thought it was ok to go on and marry him, after all he was separated (never lived with the wife).

Now, i know the law about this kind of marriages, I am so stressed...and me my husband can be charged of bigamy. That is why I want to know if there is a time frame for this kind of case that can be filed against us. We have been married for 13 yrs and I am worried about this. Please enlighten me, thanks.

Last edited by Mrs. Doubtfire on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

2case - time frame for filing a bigamy case Empty Re: time frame for filing a bigamy case Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

15 years from the time of discovery by the spouse, the authorities, or their agents.

3case - time frame for filing a bigamy case Empty Re: time frame for filing a bigamy case Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Mrs. Doubtfire

Arresto Menor

So, the wife cannot file a case against me or my husband after 15 yrs? Ah ok, thank you so much Jadis for taking the load off my shoulders. What a relief.

4case - time frame for filing a bigamy case Empty Re: time frame for filing a bigamy case Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

From the discovery of the crime. So if the crime was discovered now, charges could be filed. This is for the criminal action only. For all intents and purposes your marriage is VOID and your children are illegitimate if he has a valid and subsisting marriage before you married this man.

If you amass properties or when your husband dies, the first family can claim what is rightfully theirs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum