Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Intellectual Property (IP)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Intellectual Property (IP) Empty Intellectual Property (IP) Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm

efjay1018

Arresto Menor

Hi,

I want to create a discount card which entitles cardholders to a 10 percent discount (at least) on Partner establishments only in Boracay (hotels, activities, restaurants, shops, etc.).

Currently, there's one company in Boracay offering a similar-in-concept card, but they give it for free and with a booklet about Boracay. I think they are able to give the card and booklet for free because the hotels, restaurants, etc. advertised throughout the booklet are paying for it, not to mention, the company is probably also making money from such sponsorship.

My concern is, will I get in trouble (or violate some intellectual property) if I create my own version of the card that's much more comprehensive and provides a lot more value to tourists for a minimal fee.

First of all, their card is free. Mine would be 2,500 pesos good for one year, but with greater discounts and a lot more participating Partners. With a lot more partners (at least 5 times) and much bigger discounts (up to 25 percent compared to just 10 percent from the other company), tourists can easily save at least double the 2,500 pesos they paid.

Their card has no picture, name or anything unquely identifying the cardholder. Mine has a picture, name, card number and expiration date. Since their card is "generic," it can be used by anyone in possession of it. Mine can only be used by the person whose picture is on the card, and that person only.

Perhaps the questions is, do they even have an Intellectual Property (IP) to speak of, or am I worrying too much when I should be already starting on the project?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you very much.

All the best,
Eric

Last edited by efjay1018 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

2Intellectual Property (IP) Empty Re: Intellectual Property (IP) Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

"Perhaps the questions is, do they even have an Intellectual Property (IP) to speak of, or am I worrying too much when I should be already starting on the project?"
I suppouse no difference in the Philippines, such is only copying a business idea, which is to* COMMON in the Philippines Smile

* = In many cases, when a Filipino find a GOOD business idea, then soon it's copied by MANY. That's no big problem IF they are spread enough, so they don't fight about SAME customers, but in many cases the copiers are even in same street... This make ALL LOSE, because there will be to few customers for each company.

"Their card has no picture, name or anything unquely identifying the cardholder. Mine has a picture, name, card number and expiration date. Since their card is "generic," it can be used by anyone in possession of it."
Actualy I suppouse that's a DISadvantage for YOU.
The most important for success is that MANY USE the card. Your difference REDUCE that.

"First of all, their card is free. Mine would be 2,500 pesos good for one year,"
That's a DISadvantage too for YOU...

I believe you better give the card away for FREE, and EARN from them you are marketing. The "Revenue" is very important, because if the businesses don't get many customers from it, they will not find it interesting to renew...

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum