Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Change business name to heirs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Change business name to heirs Empty Change business name to heirs Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:44 pm

ginaq

Arresto Menor

My father died last April 2014. In his last will and testament, he distributed his business to me and my 2 other siblings. This year, we have to renew the Mayor's Permit. The problem is, my father passed away so they asked us to change the business name. My father's sister, who is managing the will and papers, asked me to whom among us 3 siblings shall she rename the business and is it possible to turn it from sole proprietorship to corporation since we are 3 in this business? What are the disadvantages of a corporation? Please advice us. Thank you.

P.S.: my mom and dad are separated. She is not included in the Will and testament.

2Change business name to heirs Empty Re: Change business name to heirs Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 pm

centro

Reclusion Perpetua

There are actually 3 forms of business organizations; a sole proprietorship, partnership and corporation. Partnership and corporation are SEC registered. There are at least 2 in partnership. Corporation requires at least 5 incorporators. Depending on the type of business, each form has its own applicability. (You did not mention your business). As corporation is guided by the SEC, it needs formal documentation and compliance not done in sole proprietorship. It has a unique taxation which is fixed w/c may or may not be to your advantage. Business registration is generally more expensive. Programs require a consensus. Paid up capital is higher. It requires corporate savvy. Yun lang po ang top of mind.

3Change business name to heirs Empty Re: Change business name to heirs Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:38 am

ginaq

Arresto Menor

Thank you for the advice. They changed it to my Older brother's name, sole proprietorship, without me knowing. What are the implications of this? Wala na akong habol diba? We are running a Hotel.

4Change business name to heirs Empty Re: Change business name to heirs Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 am

centro

Reclusion Perpetua

It means that the business is his in the eyes of the law, the BIR.  He gets the revenue, declares it in his income tax and is personally liable for the claims related to the business.
If however he decides to terminate the sole proprietorship of the hotel and converts it to partnership, he can still do so but it means closing the sole proprietorship, declaring it to the BIR and applies for a new one taking in partners.
Why you were not consulted and is contested is a situation that can eventually be filed in court.  There are other considerations like will and testament.

By the way, I assume that the requirements to turn over the business from one owner to the other with various government offices (e.g. DTI, barangay, DOLE, SSS, Philhealth, BIR) were properly accomplished.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum