Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Employment Dilemma

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Employment Dilemma Empty Employment Dilemma Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

supernhes

Arresto Menor

Good day. I would need some advise regarding my situation. I am a private school teacher who is now considered a regular employee. I believe that service to my fellowmen should not just be confined in the four corners of the classroom. I have been an active member and officer in our subdivision and at the same time am also holding an important position in my current employment. Despite the demands both from work and my other social commitments, I have never neglected my duties as a teacher. Just recently after much contemplation, I have decided to run for local government position in our barangay as counselor (have not filed for candidacy yet). This has reached my Principal and have verbalized that I should choose between my work and my aim to run for public service. Can the school just terminate me for merely filing candidacy? Would running for public office be considered moon lighting? Thanks.

2Employment Dilemma Empty Re: Employment Dilemma Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 pm

attyLLL

are you a college or grade/high school teacher?

there is a Manual for Regulations for Private Schools which is issued by Dep Ed. Unfortunately, there is no online copy that I can find because it's as thick as a book. you should look it up and see what it says about moon lighting.

you should also look at your employment contract on what it says.

to my mind, the mere filing for a candidacy is not sufficient reason for termination. good luck.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Employment Dilemma Empty Re: Employment Dilemma Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:39 pm

supernhes

Arresto Menor

Dear Atty.,

I am a High School teacher. I have been trying to look for a copy of that Manual but as you said there is no available copy online. As regards my contract, there is nothing specific on this in my contract but there is a stipulation that says, the contract may be terminated by either parties. Going back to my original question, would being a public servant be considered holding another job? Thanks again.

4Employment Dilemma Empty Re: Employment Dilemma Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm

attyLLL

you should go to dep ed to get a copy. that's where my old firm got a copy.

i do not believe a bgy councilor position should be considered as interfering with your teaching duties. but i have to confess this is not my area of expertise.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum