Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

developer wont allow buyers to see the condo unit before turn-over

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mitsu

Arresto Menor

Im about to pay the turn over dues for my condo which I was told was on schedule for its completion. 

I was recently informed that buyers can not verify if indeed there is a unit completed and ready for turn-over. Next, they only give an estimate figure for the miscellaneous fees, no detailed breakdown whatsoever. The developer also tells me that after payment, I can only see my unit after 3 months, October, because they are scheduling people for occular inspection and punchlisting. Is this the norm in buying condos in the Philippines? Should I not be able to verify first that they have the goods (unit) before I pay? Im reluctant to transact but they would fine me for late payment.

Your input is much appreciated.

crissykreme

Arresto Menor

hi mitsu. i am working as property consultant selling condos. in reference to your concern, i think this is pre selling right? as far as i know once u purchase a condo unit, the exact location/unit number of your unit should be mentioned in the agreement that you signed before hand. also, upon giving the down payment and signing the contract, the developer should present to you the model unit so you can visualize what would be the possible outcome of the construction. but of course you cannot expect exactly the same as the model unit since they already make it look good for showroom. 
but in your case since you are the unit owner, you have the right to know what is the status of your units construction. you can visit your unit anytime just communicate with your contact person/agent.
further, if in case you want to make some improvement with your unit like changing the toilet bowl, lavatory, materials to be used, etc. you can inform them while under construction at you own expense so it means, you can visit or check the construction time to time. 
even before or after u pay, u have the right to be updated about the status of your unit.

with regards to the miscellaneous bill, you have the right to know what exactly u are paying so u can ask them to give u the breakdown before paying. but remember, after paying the whole cost of the condo, it will take about 6 mos to 1 year before you get your original condominium title... u might be paying also the transfer fee aside from paying your condo.

mitsu

Arresto Menor

Thanks crissykreme! Yes, I am under the conviction that buyers should know the status of the unit. Some buyers could buy the units in cash and that is their prerogative. I am, however, more cautious with my transactions. While I may have given faith that they have done their job, I would want to see for myself my unit before I pay the balance. Sadly the developer doesn't allow visits to respective units before payment has been made. I believe the same that the buyer has such rights as you mentioned. 

How I wish there is a legal basis for my position so that I could compel the developer.

Should I succeed, a lot of other owners would be protected from overpricing and false pretenses about the condition of the units, if there are any. 

Thank you for taking time to share.

crissykreme

Arresto Menor

hi mitsu, i guess your case is a bit different. i already sold some condo unit and even if the building is still under construction you can still request from them to see the status of your own unit. as u said they can schedule u for a unit visit but i guess 3 months is too long and paying your balance first is not right.May I ask u something, is there anyone already living in that condo or if this condo still under construction, when is the turnover period and how many percentage are they now in the completion of the building? coz for us, we normally inform our client about the status of building construction. which floor they are constructing now and the completion percentage. also, have u pay the  full cost of the unit or still u have balance with them like u loaned it for few years? and would u mind if u tell me the location and developer of the condo so i can ask also my colleagues if your case is possible to happend.

your case is bit complicated since we need to know the story from the bottom Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum