Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

credit card application gone wrong

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1credit card application gone wrong Empty credit card application gone wrong Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 am

angel.sy.39

Arresto Menor

I will go straight to my dilemma. I applied for an HSBC credit card through an agent sa mall (sila yng mga nakatayo na nag-aabang to entice people to apply for a credit card). Anyways, when I told the agent that I might be declined kase I work from home and only part time, he suggested I invent a business to be sure to be qualified assuring me that since I already have an existing credit card from another bank (which I obtained from the bank itself) and have a good payment history, HSBC will not scrutinize too much. Long story short, I got approved and was sent the HSBC credit card. Herein lies the problem. I forgot the exact business name I put in the application form and when I called in to activate the card, the person I was talking to hesitated over the business name. I played it cool and finished the transaction but of course I was feeling guilty and apprehensive.

My question is, what will HSBC charge me with, if any, and what's the corresponding sentence(?) when convicted?

I realize it might be trivial but it worries me kase I'm a single mom and I unfortunately succumbed to the temptation of an additional credit card. I just want to be prepared for whatever may happen.

Thank you in advance for your time.

2credit card application gone wrong Empty Re: credit card application gone wrong Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

earl223

Arresto Menor

Sis it is a violation of RA 8484 section 14(c):
"Presumption and prima facie evidence of intent to defraud. – The mere possession, control or custody of access device fraudulently applied for.

Fraudulently applied for meaning you applied for the device (credit card) using false information.

If you have already used the card in question then it only gets worse because you also have violated section 9(d). (Using an access device fraudulently applied for). That's a double whammy.

Regarding sentences... the act states that for being the owner of the card, the sentence is a fine of Ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) or twice the value obtained by the offense, whichever is greater and imprisonment for not less than six (6) years and not more than ten (10) years.

If you are convicted... and you also have used the card (to make purchases), the punishment is even greater: a fine of Ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) or twice the value obtained by the offense, or imprisonment for not less than twelve (12) years and not more than twenty (20) years, or both.

Let's just hope that the agent you talked to regarding card activation is forgiving and lets the business name thing pass and will not push the issue further.

But do bear in mind sis that i am no expert... you can research RA 8484 yourself and make your own conclusions from there.

**EDIT: You can also perhaps just call the credit card company and have the card cancelled right away... then cut it up into pieces.

Last edited by earl223 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : *additional info)

3credit card application gone wrong Empty Re: credit card application gone wrong Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 pm

angel.sy.39

Arresto Menor

thanks for replying...follow up question, won't i be asked again about the business name for verification if i cancel the card especially since i've just had it for a month?

4credit card application gone wrong Empty Re: credit card application gone wrong Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

earl223

Arresto Menor

I'm not sure about the procedures when cancelling a card... but they usually ask you the reason why you want to cancel so they can persuade you not to cancel. If you have a friend working as a credit card agent... i'm sure you can get good advice from them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum