Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does an RTC have jurisdiction in this case?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jimmim

Arresto Menor

Does an RTC have jurisdiction over a case where our counsel turned out to be a fake lawyer? Will the court still have jurisdiction over our case when our right to counsel was violated?

attyLLL

you'll have basis to request for new trial

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

jimmim

Arresto Menor

jimmim wrote:Does an RTC have jurisdiction over a case where our counsel turned out to be a fake lawyer? Will the court still have jurisdiction over our case when our right to counsel was violated?

Found the answer to my own question:

The outstanding rule in our jurisprudence when it comes to deprivation of right to counsel or due process is:

“The cardinal precept is that WHERE THERE IS A VIOLATION OF BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, COURTS ARE OUSTED FROM THEIR JURISDICTION. The violation of a party’s right to due process, raises a serious jurisdictional issue, which cannot be glossed over or disregarded at will. WHERE THE DENIAL OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF DUE PROCESS IS APPARENT, A DECISION RENDERED IN DISREGARD OF THAT RIGHT IS VOID FOR LACK OF JURISDICTION.” (Gumabon v. Director of Bureau of Prisons, G.R. No. L-30026, January 30, 1971; People v. Bocar, et. al., G.R. No. L-27935, August 16, 1985; Galman, et. al. v. Sandiganbayan, et. al., G.R. No. 72670, September 12, 1986; State Prosecutors v. Judge Manuel T. Muro, A.M. No. RTJ-92-876, September 19, 1994; Montoya v. Varilla, et. al., G.R. No. 180146, December 18, 2008).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum