Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Corporate lawyer or private practice?

+3
trina
sheriff
renbarlaw
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Corporate lawyer or private practice? Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:06 pm

renbarlaw

Arresto Menor

i need advice mga paņero.... i've been a pao lawyer, a prosecutor and now in active private practice in a law office i establshed just three years ago...

i have this offer to be a corporate lawyer for a big company, and the perks are tempting.... but the downside is that i have to go say goodbye to active practice of law and court appearances, in favor of board meetings, research and powerpoint presentations....

should i go for it?

2Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm

sheriff

sheriff
Arresto Menor

sir why dont you try corporate life? YOu already served the public by being a prosecutor and PAO lawyer. It's about time you repay yourself by enjoying those perks cheers2

renbarlaw

Arresto Menor

thanks for the reply sheriff... you're right i have been in the public service for over ten years... my dilemma is -- i may not be comfortable at corporate life where practice of law is limited to giving legal opinions, reviewing contracts and attending board meetings... i'm afraid it would be boring... hopefully theres a corporate lawyer who can give me some in sights about the life in corporate firms....

4Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 pm

trina

Arresto Mayor

sir renbarlaw, how long did u work at PAO? mahirap bang mag apply dun? thanks

renbarlaw

Arresto Menor

trina wrote:sir renbarlaw, how long did u work at PAO? mahirap bang mag apply dun? thanks

hi trina.... i've worked as PAO lawyer for over 5 years, then transferred to the DOJ-Prosecution Service where I stayed for over 4 years... hindi naman mahirap mag apply, if you're a new lawyer, probably they will offer you the position of the lowest ranking PAO, then you will rise through the ranks as you gain experience, dont worry the promotion is fast, kasi karamihan sa mga lawyers umaalis din agad after gaining ample training... ung iba fiscal, ung iba private practice... i was lucky then because when I was appointed PAO II agad ang rank... I was PAO III when a joined the prosecution service... public service is really a good training for a new lawyer, and the opportunity to serve the people is priceless... especially if you are already a prosecutor, you have some degree of influence and power... but at a certain point, when you have a family of your own and starts sending your kids to school, and your financial needs are increasing, you will realize that the pay is not enough, especially if you're that kind who cannot swallow corruption... so before the corrupt system starts eating you up... you begin searching for other opportunities outside public service... and that, in a nutshell, is the story of my life as a lawyer... which brings us back to the topic of this forum...

sui generis

Arresto Menor

Hi Renbarlaw. I am working in a lawfirm and I experienced working for the corporate department and the litigation department. In case you transfer to the corporate world, i think you will need to adjust. The adrenaline rush present in litigation practice is not present in the corporate practice. Your litigation background will greatly benefit you in reviewing contracts since you are already trained to spot issues that are ripe for litigation. However, you might not be used to reading long contracts overflowing with run on sentences and repetitive corporate jargons.

On the other hand, I find it fulfilling that in the corporate world, more problems are solved in a shorter span of time - You can incorporate a corporation in 2 weeks time, Research and draft Memos for clients in a few days. While there are exceptions to the rule, I think corporate practice is more family friendly and yes, financially rewarding.

That being said, I think litigation practice is action packed, exciting but yes, stressful.
So take your pick!

trina

Arresto Mayor

renbarlaw wrote:
trina wrote:sir renbarlaw, how long did u work at PAO? mahirap bang mag apply dun? thanks

hi trina.... i've worked as PAO lawyer for over 5 years, then transferred to the DOJ-Prosecution Service where I stayed for over 4 years... hindi naman mahirap mag apply, if you're a new lawyer, probably they will offer you the position of the lowest ranking PAO, then you will rise through the ranks as you gain experience, dont worry the promotion is fast, kasi karamihan sa mga lawyers umaalis din agad after gaining ample training... ung iba fiscal, ung iba private practice... i was lucky then because when I was appointed PAO II agad ang rank... I was PAO III when a joined the prosecution service... public service is really a good training for a new lawyer, and the opportunity to serve the people is priceless... especially if you are already a prosecutor, you have some degree of influence and power... but at a certain point, when you have a family of your own and starts sending your kids to school, and your financial needs are increasing, you will realize that the pay is not enough, especially if you're that kind who cannot swallow corruption... so before the corrupt system starts eating you up... you begin searching for other opportunities outside public service... and that, in a nutshell, is the story of my life as a lawyer... which brings us back to the topic of this forum...

sir, with your credentials, you're qualified to join the judiciary. Did it ever come across your mind becoming a judge?

trina

Arresto Mayor

sui generis wrote:Hi Renbarlaw. I am working in a lawfirm and I experienced working for the corporate department and the litigation department. In case you transfer to the corporate world, i think you will need to adjust. The adrenaline rush present in litigation practice is not present in the corporate practice. Your litigation background will greatly benefit you in reviewing contracts since you are already trained to spot issues that are ripe for litigation. However, you might not be used to reading long contracts overflowing with run on sentences and repetitive corporate jargons.

On the other hand, I find it fulfilling that in the corporate world, more problems are solved in a shorter span of time - You can incorporate a corporation in 2 weeks time, Research and draft Memos for clients in a few days. While there are exceptions to the rule, I think corporate practice is more family friendly and yes, financially rewarding.

That being said, I think litigation practice is action packed, exciting but yes, stressful.
So take your pick!

Hi Sui Generis, at what discipline do you suggest fresh bar passers start? in the corporate world or private practice? No

9Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 am

zabri

Arresto Menor

hi sir renbarlaw,

i passed the bar 2 years ago, i'm a private practitioner and at the same time i'm working in a corporation- not exactly as a full-pledged corporate lawyer but under the legal department.

in the corporate setting, you'll find yourself mostly doing paper works and it's quite unexciting but financially rewarding and physically unstressful but emotionally lonely. though i'm just a new private practitioner, i find it more satisfying and fulfilling.

if you could arrange things wherein you could have both worlds, why not go for it.

(mahirap din kasi yung biglaan na mag-iiba ka ng mundo)

10Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 pm

renbarlaw

Arresto Menor

trina wrote:
renbarlaw wrote:

sir, with your credentials, you're qualified to join the judiciary. Did it ever come across your mind becoming a judge?

no i dont... in my over twelve years of practice, i have seen enough and have met practically all characters in the judiciary... some funny, others outright clowns, some very serious others are just pure grumpy, some disguise themselves as intelligent others are simply clueless... i can go on and on, but I better stop, least I incur the ire of our beloved SC... in short, I have seen enough not to want to join them...

well, on the second thought... maybe when im already old ...and grumpy ...and clueless, then that's the time...

11Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm

renbarlaw

Arresto Menor

tagal na tong post na to ah... anyway just want to update what happened... i opted to join the big company as corporate lawyer... and so far no regrets... in fact, i am happy where my career is right now... with perks like trips abroad (easily got my US visa due to company's representation), travel allowances, added incentives and bunoses, carplan, etc... and the businessworld is so dynamic pala, so no boring moments.. plus less stressful unlike prosecution service where i attended trials for 20 criminal cases per day, hahaha... of course, the downside is the high expection to deliver positive results all the time, otherwise pwfffttt...

12Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 pm

payoneer

Arresto Mayor

Bringing up this old post as I am in a similar position. I've only been in private practice for abour 3 years, mostly doing litigation. But an opening came up in a big corporation. I think I'll give this one a shot. Very Happy

13Corporate lawyer or private practice? Empty Re: Corporate lawyer or private practice? Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 am

doubletaxation

Arresto Menor

renbarlaw wrote:tagal na tong post na to ah... anyway just want to update what happened... i opted to join the big company as corporate lawyer... and so far no regrets... in fact, i am happy where my career is right now... with perks like trips abroad (easily got my US visa due to company's representation), travel allowances, added incentives and bunoses, carplan, etc... and the businessworld is so dynamic pala, so no boring moments.. plus less stressful unlike prosecution service where i attended trials for 20 criminal cases per day, hahaha... of course, the downside is the high expection to deliver positive results all the time, otherwise pwfffttt...

Congratulations renbarlaw for landing the corporate stint! I hope to get to where you are now but the offers I received are just not competitive.

Hi payoneer. Any updates on your situation?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum