Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Online Harrasment

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Online Harrasment Empty Online Harrasment Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 am

smolikeee

Arresto Menor

Good Day to everyone,

I run a small online buy and sell business through Multiply and Facebook. And aside from my customers, which are spread all around the country, I also have several suppliers from different regions as well. I've always made sure that any debts no matter how big or small, or no matter how long it took would always get paid as a matter of principle. Now several years back I had made a wholesale purchase from one of my main suppliers on an agreed credit to the tune of 85k, suffice it to say, the product did not do well and I began to find it hard to pay back this debt. I was still able to find ways to pay this supplier back slowly but surely. However this supplier was particularly foul mouthed and even though I had sincerely showed my intent to pay her back by hook or by crook she would continually harass me and some of my close friends with verbal insults as a means of getting me to pay her back, even though at this time I had already paid her back more than half of the 85k I had owed her and was continuing to pay the balance.

Just recently she has stepped up her tirade and has targeted her insults at some of my family members and loved ones (I now only owe her 11k). In our most recent conversation I assured her that I would pay the remaining balance very soon, and why should I not, especially now that I had paid close to 95% of my debt. Inexplicably though she made her own opinions public by posting on local business forums and entrepreneurial groups both on Multiply, Facebook, and other miscellaneous forums that I was a bogus buyer and that anybody who dealt with me would be at risk of not getting paid ultimately painting me as a thief. This is completely untrue and unfounded, and I've saved most of the conversations I've had with her regarding this as proof of my willingness and my conviction to pay her back despite my difficulties. These posts by her contain quite harsh language about myself and very close loved ones that leave me dumbstruck. I still intend to pay her back in full but the extent of her insults are now too much to bear and she cannot back up any of her words with physical proof. I know this has all taken place on unfamiliar legal ground i.e. The Internet, but I would very much like to know if I am within my rights to sue her for slander or some kind of verbal abuse and if this would be supported by a Philippine law.

I would really appreciate any help on this. My intentions have always been towards taking care of my debt and my responsibilities and I believe I've done all I could, and yet I now find my name and reputation, as well as those of my family members and close friends, dragged through the mud falsely and stripped of all dignity unjustly. All I ask is grounds with which to defend myself.

Very yours truly,
vvvvvvv

2Online Harrasment Empty Re: Online Harrasment Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:14 pm

attyLLL

how would you prove that she is the one who is posting these things about you?

in my opinion, this is a case of libel because it is in writing. though it is very challenging to prove who actually made the posts.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Online Harrasment Empty Re: Online Harrasment Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:02 pm

smolikeee

Arresto Menor

Thanks for the response,

Yes I do believe Libel would be appropriate but do you think such a case of "online" or "internet" libel would hold any water in a court of law here in the Philippines? As for identifying the author of the post, I don't think I would have too much of a problem there since she posted these comments on her own blog, which has a photo of her as well as her complete name and address.

4Online Harrasment Empty Re: Online Harrasment Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:21 pm

attyLLL

there are contrary opinions, but mine is that an e-libel complaint can prosper.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum