Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Married But I'd Like to keep my birth name. Ramifications?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

hftw

Arresto Menor

Dear Sirs,

I am married for nearly 2 years already but I'd like to keep my birthname.

Right now, I am trying to secure a loan from the bank which has been granted but the name is already hyphenated with my husband's family name. The bank is ok to proceed provided that I write a letter explaining my reasons for keeping my birth name (since i couldn't provide them with any id that which contains my husband's surname). Is there really a need for this?

On the other hand, the property that we've acquired has my birthname and my husband's. Will this pose any issues in the future?

I understand that it's just better to use a hyphenated version wherein I take on my birthname hyphenated with that of my husband's surname for convenience. However, I'm still not ready to do this now, maybe a couple of years from now when I've grown into and accustomed to the change. What will be the ramifications then of having several different names? The effect it will have to having properties in different names, bank accounts and credit card details? What are the other legalities that I should be aware of concerning this?

Your input is very much appreciated, Sirs.

Thank you.

attyLLL

keep your name. you are allowed to write it that way.

Art. 370. A married woman may use:

(1) Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband's surname, or

(2) Her maiden first name and her husband's surname or

(3) Her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Married But I'd Like to keep my birth name. Ramifications? Empty hyphenated surname Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:15 pm

jlesn

Arresto Menor

Hi Atty, good day.
Recently got married and i'm about to update my personal & work documents.
I was told I may use the hyphenated version of our surnames but i would like to know it's effects if there are any. If I'm even in the position to use it (I'm just an ordinary employee). Will my children use the same if i decide to?
And after receiving my marriage contract, where may I begin officially using this?

Thank you so much! God bless.

attyLLL

right after the ceremony, you can start using your hyphenated name. but not your kids. it'll have to be standard mother's maiden surname as middle name, and father's surname as their surname.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum