Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Divorced/Marriage

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Divorced/Marriage Empty Divorced/Marriage Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 pm

boom101

Arresto Menor

Ang boyfriend ko po ay Australian citizen. He got married here in the Philippines in 2003 with his ex wife, which is also a Filipino citizen. His ex wife migrated to Australia in 2005. The marriage ended in 2008. Divorced na po sila for 3 years.

Questions ko po ay:

1. Allowed po ba ang boyfriend ko na mag pakasal ulit dito sa pinas dahil divorced na sila ng ex wife nya?

2. Kaylangan pa po bang i-annul ang marriage nila ng exwife nya dito sa pilipinas?

2Divorced/Marriage Empty Re: Divorced/Marriage Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

lOst_StuDent

Prision Correccional

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Your Australian boyfriend can contract a marriage here, but he must file a petition in the court for the recognition of his divorce obtained abroad.

2. There is no need to have their marriage annulled. The divorce is sufficient.

3Divorced/Marriage Empty Re: Divorced/Marriage Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 pm

attyLLL

lost, are you referring to the case of gerbert corpuz?

boom, what i would recommend as a minimum is that he reports the divorce to the philippine embassy. hopefully the divorce will be annotated on the marriage certificate. my position is that if the australian government issues a certificate of legal capacity to marry, he can validly get married.

the problem is that there will be a situation where his name will appear on two marriage certificates, and this can be basis for a charge of bigamy. if he absolutely wants to remove this risk, then he has to file a court petition for the recognition of his divorce.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

4Divorced/Marriage Empty Re: Divorced/Marriage Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

lOst_StuDent

Prision Correccional

@AttyLLL, that's the case I have in mind. The situation is similar. I think it's best to correct the record at the NSO with regards to the previous marriage. If you believe that the petition is superfluous, then I concede to your opinion atty..

5Divorced/Marriage Empty Re: Divorced/Marriage Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

attyLLL

no, i don't believe it is superfluous, but i believe that case has muddled the rules on this. even the dfa is confused what to do now with the reports on divorce they receive from overseas.

but see footnote 26 of the case. i think the court should have openly conceded that corpuz could have gotten married with just a certificate of legal capacity, and not have had to go through the expense and effort of having to go through litigation just to have his divorce registered.

26 Parenthetically, we add that an alien’s legal capacity to contract is evidenced by a certificate issued by his or her respective diplomatic and consular officials, which he or she must present to secure a marriage license (Article 21, Family Code). The Filipino spouse who seeks to remarry, however, must still resort to a judicial action for a declaration of authority to remarry.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

6Divorced/Marriage Empty Re: Divorced/Marriage Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am

boom101

Arresto Menor

Thank you very much for the reply, atty!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum