Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Common law marriage

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Common law marriage Empty Common law marriage Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 am

Jibega

Arresto Menor

Hello everyone!

I am here in behalf of a friend.
He is trying to apply for a US tourist visa and on the application, it is asking for his marital status. He is single but he has a live-in partner for 7 years now. They haven't gotten married yet because his mom has petitioned him to be a US immigrant, and he can't change his status unless they want his papers to be nulled.
Should he check the Common Law Marriage choice, or Single?
Does that make his girlfriend his Spouse on the application?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me find the answer ?

2Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

i believe that children who are already married cannot be petitioned by their parents in the US.

imho, if he will declare that he has a common law spouse, this will be considered and petition may likely be denied.

3Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Jibega

Arresto Menor

xtianjames wrote:i believe that children who are already married cannot be petitioned by their parents in the US.

imho, if he will declare that he has a common law spouse, this will be considered and petition may likely be denied.

That's our dilemma. My friend and his gf are not legally married, but they've been living together for 7 years now. Is that not what a Common Law Marriage is?

4Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:28 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

yes it is.

5Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

There is no separate LEGAL recognition for a common-law marriage here in the Philippines. There are states in the USA that recognize sui juris marriages, but not in the Philippines. And even then, state laws require some sort of registration.

It is referred to only when live-in partners want to LEGALIZE their union, where they can do so without obtaining a marriage license under Philippine Law.

FOR ALL LEGAL INTENTS AND PURPOSES YOUR "FRIEND" IS SINGLE.

6Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

mslgray14

Arresto Menor

i have a partner for almost 6 years, we have 2 children. He was separated to his wife for 15 years now.
i just found out that he has cheated and got woman pregnant just 2 mos ago.

My partner has been playful with different woman, and has children to different woman as well.

I just wanna ask, if there is any case that i can file for the father of my children who has been fooling around all the while, and has not provided responsibly to our family? i have drowned into big debts since we started building our family, i have not been able to save money coz i was the one supporting the rest of our children needs, he only provide 1k to 2k in a month for our 2 kids and more often than not , there was none. Since he has been womanizer , i have ruined my relationship with my relatives and my siblings to defend him his not.

What legal rights should i take, that will teach him a lesson as well? thank you

You reply is appreciated.

7Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:28 pm

mslgray14

Arresto Menor

and another thing is.. since may iba siyang babae, maghiwalay muna kami dahil ang gusto niya pagsabayin kami ng babae, yung bunso ko anak, dinala niya sa tita niya hindi naman niya kasama don. dun siya umuuwi uwi sa babae niya.

8Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

@mslgray14

since hindi kayo kasal, wala ka legal na habol sa kanya. pwede mo sya kasuhan ng lack of support kung talagang tinitipid nya ang mga anak mo kung kaya mo itong patunayan sa korte.

9Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

mslgray14

Arresto Menor

what about damage sa moral , meron ba ako pwede ikaso sa kaniya?

10Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:11 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

Pwede pero kakailanganin mo muna patunayan na may moral/emotional damages talaga na nangyari sayo. this can be done through having psychological evaluation. if your going to pursue this, then you should hire a lawyer.

11Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

mslgray14

Arresto Menor

ok.. thank you . great help.

12Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:26 am

jamtrish

Arresto Menor

Magandang araw po,.

Ako po ay may unang asawa at tatlong anak sa una ko po na asawa at naikasal po kami sa civil,nangyari po na nagkahiwalay po kami halos 10 years na po mula noon at ngaun po may kinakasama po ako at may dalawa po kaming anak,nagsasama na po kami ng halos 9 na taon,.gusto ko po sanang itanong kung pwede po ba kami i considered as common law husband and wife,.maraming salamat po at umaaasa po ako na masasagot po ang aking katanungan muli po marami pong salamat,.

13Common law marriage Empty Re: Common law marriage Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:55 pm

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

Hindi kasi kasal ka pa. Liable din kayo na makasuhan ng concubinage.

The first thing you should do is dissolve your first marriage first.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum