Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can I Be put in Jail in UAE if Im already in the Philippines?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Hi, I have this dilemma, I worked in UAE before but now Im back in the Philippines, It started when someone mistakenly deposited a money in my bank account, I reported it to the bank, but the bank told me to keep it in my account since no one is making a complaints or make a case about it on their end. Sadly, I used the money. I've checked online that they can file a case on me, for theft, Is that true? If the owner of the money already complaints & the bank asked me to return it, but I cant return it, Can I be liable for a criminal offense? Can they extradite me or will I be put in jail? I need your advice on this. Thank you!

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

I don't think it will fall under theft since on your part, you did not do anything to make the wrong deposit happen but the bank can retrieve the amount on your account once proper procedure on their part has been done.

anyway, in case they will file a criminal case against you, as long as you don't set foot on any GCC country, you are safe from prosecution. just to be on the safe side, try to have the money on hand in case they will ask you to return it. at least you can still return to the UAE if you don't have any case filed against you.

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Misappropriating money that you know does not belong to you is still stealing. You basically took property belonging to another when you withdrew it, with intent to gain (obviously, you used the money), and without the consent of the real owner.

The laws of the UAE are different from Philippine laws, but apparently what happened in your case looks like theft.

http://www.mondaq.com/x/296778/Crime/Theft+Article+Introduction

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

So, If the bank file a case in UAE and Im already in Philippines, I can still be put in jail?, I read something in a newspaper in UAE " UAE banking rules state that in such a case where the amount was sent from an individual account holder to another individual’s account, the receiver has no legal obligation to return the money unless he signs an authorisation for the bank to reverse the transaction." Is this true?

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

You have to ask someone who practices law in the UAE. The laws in the Philippines are different. If we are talking Philippine law, I really think what you did amounts to theft.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Yes, But since Im here in Philippines, If the the bank in UAE file a case against me, Will I be put in jail in UAE?

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

di ako abogado pero currently nasa UAE din ako.

Just think of it this way, sadly common occurrence sa middle east ang takbuhan ng mga kabayan natin ang kanilang obligasyon (loans, debts, etc). nagfifile ng criminal case ang bank para maclaim ang insurance. once this happens, may criminal case ka na sa middle east. kahit may criminal case ka, walang extradition agreement ang UAE para sa mga gantong kaso. the worst they can do is have you arrested once tumungtong ka sa ANY GCC country at deport back ka kung saan ka sinampahan ng kaso. kahit magtransit or emergency landing lang ang eroplano sa GCC kulong ka. forever ka na banned sa GCC countries hanggat di mo inaayos yung case.

if wala ka ng plano bumalik or tumungtong sa GCC, out of reach ka ng jurisdiction nila kahit kasuhan ka nila. but i know a lot of expat na after 5 or 10 years nagtatanong kung pwede na daw ba sila bumalik kahit may kaso sila and the answer is always NO kung ayaw mo makulong.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Salamat..

Tanong lang po sa mga mkakabasa,, If you have 1 million Pesos in your bank account, coming from nowhere, & nasa UAE ka, ano gagawin mo?,,

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Ang_Supremo wrote:Salamat..

Tanong lang po sa mga mkakabasa,, If you have  1 million Pesos in your bank account, coming from nowhere, & nasa UAE ka, ano gagawin mo?,,

If I have no reason to expect money coming into my bank account I would not spend it. For all you know, it is blood money.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Halimbawa nagastos na & umuwe na ng Pinas, If it is blood money, What would be the worst things that can happen?

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

karma sir. just think of it this way, pano kung yung pera pala na yun ay panggastos sa pag papagamot ng isang tao? would you still be comfortable to spend it? tandaan po natin na may pinanggalingan po yan at may naargabyado ka padin kung di mo ibabalik ang pera na di sayo.

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Have you ever thought of returning money that was not yours?

What is it exactly that you want? I mean, what is the point of all these questions?

You want to have peace of mind? You want to be assured that you will not be arrested, or your passport will not be cancelled, or you will not be extradited for spending money that in the first place you knew you had absolutely no right to spend or expect to be credited in your account?
You want someone to tell you that stealing is okay?

Go find some other forum that aids and abets unscrupulous persons. The last time I checked this was a LEGAL FORUM.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

I already contacted the bank, and ask if someone already report an error in depositing into a wrong account, they said none. Their advice just keep the money on my bank acct. But again, I've already used some of the money, and Im already here in the Philippines. So, what will happen now? Legally, what would be the consequences, the bank dont want to get the money because no one claims it.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Jadis wrote:Have you ever thought of returning money that was not yours?

What is it exactly that you want? I mean, what is the point of all these questions?

You want to have peace of mind? You want to be assured that you will not be arrested, or your passport will not be cancelled, or you will not be extradited for spending money that in the first place you knew you had absolutely no right to spend or expect to be credited in your account?
You want someone to tell you that stealing is okay?

Go find some other forum that aids and abets unscrupulous persons. The last time I checked this was a LEGAL FORUM.

Hey, Im asking for a legal opinion, if you are a person who will judge simply by asking an opinion, then uou have no reason here on this forum too.. and FYI, when I knew that I have that kind of money on my bank account, I reported it immediately to the bank, I ask if someone reported an error or wrong deposit, they said none. Their advice just keep the money on my bank account. So, dont judge me, and maybe I dont know, if you were in my position, and receive a million in your bank account, maybe you will disappear and will not ask an opinion on this forum, just my two cents..

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

But you did not keep the money that was not yours, in your account. You took it.

It's stealing.

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

And no amount of money is worth my peace of mind, my reputation, my right to freely travel, or the safety of my family. Not a million pesos. Not a billion. Or a gazillion. Not even in dollars. That's just too f*cking cheap.

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

No! They cannot put you in jail! Especially if it's their own mistake. Also any debts covering up to 100,000 to any foreigner in the Middle East are covered by insurance. The bank can claim it back. So you have nothing to worry! I left Saudi and went on holiday before moving to Qatar and my credit card still works when I tried it! I thought they will chase after me when I move to Qatar but nothing happens. I called the bank as am quite prepared to pay it back but they said they cannot accept the payment as the time I used it I already left the country and my iqama was cancelled so there's a technical error and not possible to retrieve the information of how much I need to pay back. 🤗🍻

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

AWV wrote:No! They cannot put you in jail! Especially if it's their own mistake. Also any debts covering up to 100,000 to any foreigner in the Middle East are covered by insurance. The bank can claim it back. So you have nothing to worry! I left Saudi and went on holiday before moving to Qatar and my credit card still works when I tried it! I thought they will chase after me when I move to Qatar but nothing happens. I called the bank as am quite prepared to pay it back but they said they cannot accept the payment as the time I used it I already left the country and my iqama was cancelled so there's a technical error and not possible to retrieve the information of how much I need to pay back. 🤗🍻

Thanks!..

xtianjames

Reclusion Perpetua

maswerte si AWV kasi napaka daming case na may mga utang ang naka kulong ngayon sa ME. you can simply google those news para magka idea ka.

btw, regarding insurance ng utang, FYI lang po na hindi po kayo maaabswelto sa di pagbabayad ng utang kahit may binayaran kayo insurance upon loan application. yung insurance po na to eh para lang sa safety ni bank. a lot of people learned this the hard way in UAE.

regarding naman sa sitwasyon mo sir supremo, i commend na kinontak mo yung bank at as advised by them wala nagreport ng issue at the time nun kontakin mo sila. lalabas ang problema dyan in the future pag nausisa na yung nawawalang pera at dun ka na nila hahabulin kaya nga ang advise sayo at keep the money in your account.

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Ang_Supremo wrote:
AWV wrote:No! They cannot put you in jail! Especially if it's their own mistake. Also any debts covering up to 100,000 to any foreigner in the Middle East are covered by insurance. The bank can claim it back. So you have nothing to worry! I left Saudi and went on holiday before moving to Qatar and my credit card still works when I tried it! I thought they will chase after me when I move to Qatar but nothing happens. I called the bank as am quite prepared to pay it back but they said they cannot accept the payment as the time I used it I already left the country and my iqama was cancelled so there's a technical error and not possible to retrieve the information of how much I need to pay back. 🤗🍻

Thanks!..

As far as my geography lessons, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Qatar are different countries from the United Arab Emirates.

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

xtianjames wrote:maswerte si AWV kasi napaka daming case na may mga utang ang naka kulong ngayon sa ME. you can simply google those news para magka idea ka.

btw, regarding insurance ng utang, FYI lang po na hindi po kayo maaabswelto sa di pagbabayad ng utang kahit may binayaran kayo insurance upon loan application. yung insurance po na to eh para lang sa safety ni bank. a lot of people learned this the hard way in UAE.

regarding naman sa sitwasyon mo sir supremo, i commend na kinontak mo yung bank at as advised by them wala nagreport ng issue at the time nun kontakin mo sila. lalabas ang problema dyan in the future pag nausisa na yung nawawalang pera at dun ka na nila hahabulin kaya nga ang advise sayo at keep the money in your account.

Tayo lang ba, o may ugali lang talaga tayong mga Pilipino na gustong-gusto nating nanlalamang o nangaagrabyado ng iba basta lang makalamang tayo?

And we spread and preach this mentality to others, being proud of debts being unpaid, and running away from them, and getting away with it.

This is a legal forum. I mean, aren't we supposed to uphold principles of fairness and equity? It is unfair and inequitable to brag about successfully running away from debt and encouraging others not to worry or to do the same. Seriously.

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

Indeed! FYI! I have been all part of the Middle East so I know it all! 🙄

But the question here is "Will he be sued if he owes money from U.A.E. when he already left and now in the Philippines?" Answer he is NO! Because when their residence permit are cancelled it will be difficult for the bank to recover the payment and they don't even bother simply because they are insured up to 100K individual clients. But if they owe more than 100K it will be the insurance who can sue them not the bank itself!

Another point here is that he already left the country, he is already out of their jurisdictions!

He is only asking because he doesn't know his rights although it's a mischief, he is safe, but of course if it happens in Philippines he can be sued for Estafa!

Jadis wrote:
Ang_Supremo wrote:

Thanks!..

As far as my geography lessons, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Qatar are different countries from the United Arab Emirates.

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

xtianjames wrote:maswerte si AWV kasi napaka daming case na may mga utang ang naka kulong ngayon sa ME. you can simply google those news para magka idea ka.

thanks,, I contacted them already , pero sabi nila wala pa ring nag rreport or nag cclaim,, I still have the money on the acct, siguro naka gastos lang ako ng wala pang 2 percent nung kabuuan,, Ang tanong ko lang is paano kung walang mag claim?, kkunin ba yun ng bangko, or kanino mappunta ang pera?

Ang_Supremo

Arresto Menor

Jadis wrote:

Tayo lang ba, o may ugali lang talaga tayong mga Pilipino na gustong-gusto nating nanlalamang o nangaagrabyado ng iba basta lang makalamang tayo?

And we spread and preach this mentality to others, being proud of debts being unpaid, and running away from them, and getting away with it.

This is a legal forum. I mean, aren't we supposed to uphold principles of fairness and equity? It is unfair and inequitable to brag about successfully running away from debt and encouraging others not to worry or to do the same. Seriously.

I appreciate your opinion, pero napaka righteous mo, sana pag naging lawyer ka na, righteous ka pa rin, kase may mga kakilala akong ganyan, npaka morally upright nung law student pa lang sila, pero nung naging lawyer na, nilamon na ng sistema, naging gahaman sa pera sa pamamaluktot ng batas,, I pray for you & always remember what you are saying now,, Thanks anyway..

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Ang_Supremo wrote:
Jadis wrote:

I appreciate your opinion, pero napaka righteous mo, sana pag naging lawyer ka na, righteous ka pa rin, kase may mga kakilala akong ganyan, npaka morally upright nung law student pa lang sila, pero nung naging lawyer na, nilamon na ng sistema, naging gahaman sa pera sa pamamaluktot ng batas,, I pray for you & always remember what you are saying now,, Thanks anyway..

I AM a lawyer and I have been for over half a decade now. That is why this to me is extremely peeving. You came here to a public forum for legal advice, so you have to be prepared for the answers you will receive, favorable or otherwise. You cannot expect that everyone will coddle you or tell you it's alright that you can get away with taking something that is not rightfully yours.

If the bank or the rightful owner of the money that you had no right to spend does not come after you, then good on you. That does not mean it is something you should be proud of, or something you should advice to others when they are placed in the same situation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum