Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mistakenly overpaid by Employer, what to do?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gumsem

Arresto Menor

Hi,
I am under a 1 year contract in an agency, designated to work for a client which is a big IT company. For the past 8 months, I started my standby hours (on call) shifts thus my employer started to pay me for the standby hours that I rendered as well. The standby hours pay is somewhat equal to my hourly rate by the way.

Now here is my dilemma, Just last month my hr representative mentioned that there was an error with the standby hours pay that they are actually giving me. Turned out I was overpaid; the stand by hours is apparently not equal to my hourly rate but just 20% of the rate per hour.

This is very concerning for me, because they also mentioned that they will deduct the over payments to me eventually which is a very huge amount.

I really need an advice as what to do with this? My contract with them will expire in 3 months and with the amount that they will deduct to me, it's impossible for me to pay them that soon.

Thank you!

ador

Reclusion Perpetua

was it stipulated in the contract that the standby rate is 20% of the regular rate? if so, then you cannot dispute the deduction which is to come. It is legal.

gumsem

Arresto Menor

No, there is nothing stated whatsoever with regards to the rate of the standby hours. That's why I assume that in the 8 months (which had consistent rate) had the rightful amount that they are giving me. I didn't suspect at all that there was some discrepancy.

HrDude

Reclusion Perpetua

Whether stated in your contract or not, the question is 'Was overpayment really happened'? If so, you are obligated to return the same. Base on equity and 'fair play', any amount not due an employee, if given by mistake, the latter has the duty to return the same.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum