Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice for bank demanding to pay "outstanding obligations" that resulted from their incompetence?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

seekAdvice

Arresto Menor

Hello po Atty. I have 3 principal credit cards (+1 if this problematic bank is counted) and 3 more supplementary cards. I pay each card either ahead or right on the due date. When the annual fees for the card are charged, I call to ask if it can be waived. Now, this 1 bank, declined my request. So, I specifically instructed them (through the Messages functionality in their ebanking system) that I will pay my remaining balance (it was not due at the time) and then, after I pay on the due date, they can go ahead and cancel my card with them as I don't need it.

I don't know why "AFTER" was not clear to them so they went ahead and cancelled my card. I reached out to them and asked why they did so and how I can pay my balance then. They said I can still pay it even if the card has been cancelled. I told them I'd like to be sure that my online payment transaction pushes through but I don't see that happening if my account number is now invalid. They kept insisting that it's ok but I explained that it is not a valid transaction. So, I said activate my card again then I will pay then you can cut it again. To which they said they will but I will have to pay the annual fee. I said that does not make any sense because you will cancel my card afterwards.

So, due to this back and forth, my due date passed by a few days and of course, the interest was added. Because I had enough of their incompetence to understand that this was their fault (they even apologized for canceling my card), I paid my balance from my valid transactions. Of course, like any sane person, I did not pay the annual fee and the interest that was caused by them.

But they did not stop trying to make me pay the interest they caused. Every collection agency that has emailed me, I informed them that before collecting in my case, they should investigate as to what happened so they will understand that I do not owe the bank any money.

I guess as expected, no one listened and the interest kept blowing up. Now, this bank has sent me a letter offering amnesty program and threatening to sue if I don't settle.

I'd like to get advice on what specialty lawyer I should talk to if the greedy bank ends up suing me. Any recommendations? Also, can I sue them back? Thanks in advance.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum