Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marriage Void Ab Initio. Using mother's surname.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Innaparedes

Arresto Menor

I hope someone replies  I love you 

My parents marriage was void ab initio in 2001. After the annulment, my grandparent's let me and my siblings use my mother's maiden name (ex: ALPHA) instead of my father's (ex: BETA) in all our school records even though it's our father's surname on our birth certificates. They said that they consulted a lawyer and according to him it was legal because of Article 176 of the family code of the Philippines.

It's my 2nd year in college now and they won't allow me to enrol until my surname in my birth certificate is changed to Alpha. So I went to our city hall to have it changed and they said we might need a court order to let NSO approve the change. However, I found out that we don't have that and my mom didn't go through trial to change my surname from Beta to Alpha. All I have is an affidavit.

What should I do now if we won't ever get a court order because it's expensive and will take a long time? Should I start using my father's surname (appearing on my birth cert) from now on? What will happen to all my school documents when I used my mother's? Please enlighten me, I'm so confused  Shocked

Last edited by Innaparedes on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bett description of topic.)

attyesc

attyesc
Reclusion Temporal

If there is no anotated remark on your birth certificate stating that your surname is changed from alpha to beta, you should continue using your father's surname.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum