Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do I need a court declaration for a marriage that is void ab initio?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

AuWest

Arresto Menor

Hello Attorney,

I got married in Singapore to a fellow Philippine citizen. A few years later, when I wanted to register the marriage with the Philippine embassy in SG, my husband said it wasn't necessary because he doesn't have any plans of going back to the Philippines anyway.

After a year, we returned to the Philippines and separated. When I initiated legal proceedings, I found out that he has a subsisting marriage in the Philippines to a Philippine citizen.

This new development has made things easier for me. My question is, how do I have my marriage declared null and void?

The marriage was solemnized in SG by a non-Philippine authority and it was not registered through the embassy or in any Philippine registrar.

Thanks in advance for your help.

shad_marasigan

Reclusion Perpetua

Your marriage in Singapore would be under the laws of Singapore. If there is divorce in Singapore you can file it there and the Philippine Court will respect it.

AuWest

Arresto Menor

shad_marasigan wrote:Your marriage in Singapore would be under the laws of Singapore. If there is divorce in Singapore you can file it there and the Philippine Court will respect it.

Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. We're both Philippine citizens so it doesn't matter which one of us initiates it in SG. No Philippine court would recognize a divorce granted outside. So, it's just a waste of time filing for one.

The problem is not having it registered when it was supposed to have been registered. If it had been, I think it would be easier for me to have it declared null here in the Phils.

attyLLL

the problem for you is that you will be vulnerable to a charge of bigamy if someone is able to acquire your records from the singaporean marriage.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum