Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Failed to work on holiday

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Failed to work on holiday Empty Failed to work on holiday Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:07 am

allandizon12

Arresto Menor

Hi Good day again.

I would like to ask a few question about the legality of my suspension.

Here's the scenario.

This year Lenten season holidays, I signed a paper signifying work on the said holidays. I manage to work on Thursday and Friday but I failed to work on Saturday.

Because of this, my superior got me an Notice of decision accusing me of refusal to work overtime and got me suspended for three days.

They suspend me in accordance to our Company's Rules and Regulation "Refusal to work overtime".

As far as my knowledge is concern. Overtime is a number of hours exceeded in 8 hours of any working days and working on holidays is not an overtime.

My question are:

1. Does Holidays can be consider as overtime? If not then,
2. Is it legit that they suspend me?

2Failed to work on holiday Empty Re: Failed to work on holiday Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:39 am

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

allandizon12 wrote:Hi Good day again.

I would like to ask a few question about the legality of my suspension.

Here's the scenario.

This year Lenten season holidays, I signed a paper signifying work on the said holidays. I manage to work on Thursday and Friday but I failed to work on Saturday.

Because of this, my superior got me an Notice of decision accusing me of refusal to work overtime and got me suspended for three days.

They suspend me in accordance to our Company's Rules and Regulation "Refusal to work overtime".

As far as my knowledge is concern. Overtime is a number of hours exceeded in 8 hours of any working days and working on holidays is not an overtime.

My question are:

1. Does Holidays can be consider as overtime? If not then,
2. Is it legit that they suspend me?

To answer your questions, here is my question first -

1. Normally are you supposed to work on these holidays?

If normally you don't work on these holidays and you were asked to do so this year, and you agreed to do the overtime, then yes it can be considered overtime - rest day overtime, and if you worked more than 8 hours, you are entitled to additional overtime pay.

http://www.councilviews.com

3Failed to work on holiday Empty Re: Failed to work on holiday Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:01 am

allandizon12

Arresto Menor

The things that I am confused is that how can that be a Holiday considered as overtime? How was that happened? Labor code clearly stated that overtime by definition is different from Holiday. In other countries, they do not call it overtime but instead "double time". The thing that i signed is not an overtime permit but holiday working permit.

4Failed to work on holiday Empty Re: Failed to work on holiday Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 am

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

allandizon12 wrote:The things that I am confused is that how can that be a Holiday considered as overtime? How was that happened? Labor code clearly stated that overtime by definition is different from Holiday. In other countries, they do not call it overtime but instead "double time". The thing that i signed is not an overtime permit but holiday working permit.

Overtime in the broad sense is when you work outside of your normal working hours. So if the holiday is a rest day and you work then, it is "overtime" because you work on the hours you were not supposed to under normal circumstances.

http://www.councilviews.com

5Failed to work on holiday Empty Re: Failed to work on holiday Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

Patok

Reclusion Perpetua

the reason why the company asked in the first place if you can work on the holiday.. you signed then you didn't show up.. yes they can suspend you.

6Failed to work on holiday Empty Re: Failed to work on holiday Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:16 am

alexisbantilan

Reclusion Perpetua

the company will carry the burden the proof to show that your non reporting to work in holiday caused damages and delays in income generations.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum