Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Retainer contract for company physician - legal or not?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

recoroom

Arresto Menor

Hi! I'm wanting to be part of a multimedia company to be their company doctor. I'm PRC board certified and trained in basic occupational health and safety required by the DOLE. I was offered a retainer contract but have second thoughts as I know this will mean the absence of an employee-employer relation which has its good as well as bad points. From what I understand rule 1963.4 of the amended DOLE-BWC Occupational Safety and Health Standards prohibits employers from entering into retainership agreements for occupational health services but then most of the guys I know working as company physicians either have retainer agreements directly with the company or with a third-party contractor being engaged by the principal company for occupational health services. A law student I talked to says what he know is that the Labor Code allows retainer contracts but when I read the law myself it states in Art. 157 "Where the undertaking is non-hazardous in nature, the physician and dentist may be engaged on retainer basis, subject to such regulations as the Secretary of Labor and Employment may prescribe to insure immediate availability of medical and dental treatment and attendance in case of emergency." Now, isn't it the Occupational Safety & Health Standards is considered the document "prescribed" by the DOLE Secretary and, therefore, should be followed, i.e. retainer agreement for physicians to render occupational health services is unlawful?
Sirs, i'd be very glad if you can enlighten me on this as I have to decide whether to sign the agreement or negotiate further to be an employee of the company. Thank you.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum