Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

non-compete agreement

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1non-compete agreement Empty non-compete agreement Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm

genzsmedina

Arresto Menor

I resigned from work. My contract of specific undertaking with them contains a part that prohibits employment with other enterprise whose business are similar to my previous employer's within a specific period of time, from the date of separation.

Is this enforceable, considering the following facts?

1. Reason of resignation are consistent payroll issues. In EVERY pay period, there were descrepancies. Mostly were unapproved overtimes, duly filed, but are selectively approved and there were shift changes, that since disapproved or approval "withheld", resulted to "undertime" or "tardiness". There even was an official travel that although "approved", later appeared as whole day absence. Plus other similar incidents until my last day with them.

2. Held low-level management position but stayed with the company for a total of 2 months only.

3. In the same contract, the part discussed in the first paragraph is immediately followed by "In any case, however, you hereby bind yourself to keep in utmost secrecy...", directly quoted as stated. Does the statement "In any case" not imply, "In any case [you are employed by a competitor,]" hence employment itself is not prohibited?

4. The contract further specified amounts for liquidated damages, actual damages and even attorney's fees, should the non-comete clause be violated. I've read in another forum that "the burden of proof is on the former employer to demonstrate that the terminated employee has taken any direct action that has resulted in a loss of profit or credibility to the company". So how is it possible for them to specify in the contract already, figures for penalties without assessment of the extent of "damage" yet?

For comments please

2non-compete agreement Empty Re: non-compete agreement Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm

attyLLL

rarely have company tried to judically enforce a non-compete clause, but if they do, there is basis for it to be upheld.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3non-compete agreement Empty Re: non-compete agreement Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:15 pm

genzsmedina

Arresto Menor

Thank you attyLLL. Suppose however it is enforced, would factors (1) and (3) work to my favor?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum