Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

DNA test, child recognition & child support

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jacco

Arresto Menor

I'm a European man working on board ships. I'm in a relationship and probably made a Filipina girl pregnant. She is due in 2 months time. My girlfriend (also Filipina) doesn't want me in touch anymore with the pregnant girl. Now I feel guilty, ashamed for not doing anything. I want to know for sure IF the child is mine by doing a DNA test, and what will happen if it is mine and I recognize the child, what will be my obligations financially. Now as I work on board ships my salary is never constant, sometimes in between contracts I have no income. The pregnant girl is not pushing me for support, actually she doesn't want anything to do with me at the moment. But I want to know what are the legal obligations once recognizing the child. How much will I need to pay by Filipino law? And also in case of inheritance. Is it true the recognized child inherits all properties I own in Philippines (this is my girlfriends fear as I am owner but she helped me out a lot obtaining them, she will feel double cheated if it will go to my illegitimate child). Can I set up a will excluding the child as I want to have my other immediate family to inherit my properties. Hope you can help me…. Kind regards Jacco

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

The law is some fuzzy. There aren't any specific amount, but depend some of what support capacity the father AND mother have. As I INTERPRETE the law only "minimum" to live ok is demanded to support - if the parents earn enough to pay that - so if you earn more, more support than "minimum" is volontaringly.

"And also in case of inheritance. Is it true the recognized child inherits all properties I own in Philippines (this is my girlfriends fear as I am owner but she helped me out a lot obtaining them, she will feel double cheated if it will go to my illegitimate child). Can I set up a will excluding the child as I want to have my other immediate family to inherit my properties."
No, you can't exclude the other child totaly from inheriting any assets, but:
1. If you marry the new woman she get HALF conjugal, plus a bit more if you die before her.
2. Child born outside marriage have right to HALF as much as children born in marriage.
3. If the property is conjugal, max 1/4 of the total assets can be MOVED as you want by WILL.

For instance if you marry the woman you want to give more, get 2 children in marriage/adopt, and write a max will, then the child born outside marriage inherit only 1 / 28 of the total assets.

Summary:
If you marry the other woman and write a wil, the child born outside marriage wil inherit only a small part anyway.

Last edited by Lunkan on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Jacco

Arresto Menor

Thanks for your reply.

-Can you give any indication? example based on a monthly income of 3000 dollars of the father?

-When doing a DNA test and the outcome is that I am the father, I automatically recognize the child?

-And when the child is recognized is the father obliged to give a certain percentage by law or is it possible to decide himself what to give?

-And about the inheritance, are the properties automatically going to the child or is it possible to decide to whom it will go to through a will?

hopefully someone can answers there 4 questions.
Thanks in advance

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

I edited my earlier post during you wrote your second, so look there   Smile

"-When doing a DNA test and the outcome is that I am the father, I automatically recognize the child? "
You can recognize the child anytime, but I suppouse you don't deny if DNA say it's yours, so it don't need to become a case.

Jacco

Arresto Menor

Thank you

you were very helpful :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum