Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Declaration of Nullity of marriage

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Declaration of Nullity of marriage Empty Declaration of Nullity of marriage Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 am

makoyski

Arresto Menor

I have a friend who filed a Petition For Declaration of Nullity of Marriage on the ground of, lack of authority of the solemnizing officer, lack of marriage license, fake marriage license. The said petition was denied due to insufficiency of evidence as the Civil registrar where the marriage license was allegedly issued was not presented.

Question can my friend re file the same petition in another court and another jurisdiction. Thanks. you advice will be greatly appreciated..

2Declaration of Nullity of marriage Empty Re: Declaration of Nullity of marriage Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:13 pm

attybutterbean

The court's decision dismissing the petition on the ground of insufficiency of evidence is generally considered a decision on the merits of the case, in which case, the dismissal of the case is considered with prejudice. However, if it is stated in the decision that the dismissal is without prejudice, your friend can certainly refile the case.

Refiling the case that has been dismissed on the merits / with prejudice constitutes forum shopping which means filing of several suits before various courts for the same cause of action in the hope of securing a favorable resolution/judgment in a "friendly court." Forum shopping is prohibited in our jurisdiction. The petition for declaration of nullity of marriage is always accompanied by a certification against forum shopping wherein the petitioner will declare UNDER OATH that no similar action has been filed involving the same parties, subject matter and cause of action. If your friend will declare UNDER OATH that no similar action has been filed, then he/she will commit perjury.

The proper recourse should have been to file a motion for reconsideration of the court's decision within 15 days from receipt thereof or to appeal therefrom. Your friend could have even sought reconsideration of the decision for the sole purpose of remanding the case for further trial IN THE INTEREST OF JUSTICE as it will allow the evidence to be fully ventilated.

In any case, your friend should not lose hope. Philippines Lawyers are resourceful. There are various ways to make things right.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum