Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does clogging of drainage system in an apartment compound be a reason not to pay rent?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jplaton

Arresto Menor

I am renting a unit in a 8-door apartment compound.

I have been staying here for more than a year. And my contract has expired already.

In my laundry area clean out pipe oozes out with human stool that over flows in my whole living space.

The Lessor lets us borrow the "panundot" for sometime mere sundot would ease the clogging.

In the contract cleaning and repair of drainage is on tenant account.

I have been not paying rent because I spend so much for tubero.

The Lessor now uses my non-payment to file action against me.

What should I do?

attyLLL

Art. 1658. The lessee may suspend the payment of the rent in case the lessor fails to make the necessary repairs or to maintain the lessee in peaceful and adequate enjoyment of the property leased.

study your contract carefully. what is referred to as drainage? is it meant to mean plumbing? does it refer to rainwater or water from the house? can it be interpreted to include draining of the septic tank?

i would argue that it should not, but it depends on what is written on the contract

11,000th post.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

jplaton

Arresto Menor

A provision in the contract states... and i quote:
" That no improvement, alteration or repair shall be made within the premises without your prior written approval and if granted,xxx, that repair of the clogging of drainage, pipes, water closet, water system and/or leakages, plugging of commode, hinges, electrical outlet, broken jalousies, may be done at my/our expense, it being understood, further, that such improvement, alteration or repair shall conform with the laws, regulation or ordinances of the government or duly constituted authorities;

Please enlighten me more.

attyLLL

you can argue that the contract refers to minor repairs based on the nature of the other items on the list, but this situation is chronic and serious.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum