Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can a mother be charged with kidnapping if she hides the child from the abusive father?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

heartbreaker

Arresto Menor

Hi,

I would just like to ask if the mother could be charge
with kidnapping if she escapes with her 1 year old baby?
The husband is abusive, verbally and physically, and has
no intentions of reforming his attitude. He also keeps
a gun in the house. Can the mother be charged of kidnapping?
This information would really help a lot.

Also, if she decides to file a case against the father
would it hurt her case if she leaves the family home witht he baby?

Thanks!

Heartbreaker

clanwolf

clanwolf
Arresto Menor

It depends. biological mothers have primary custody of children under 7 years old. the charge you are thinking of is "failure to return a minor." the father can be held liable for violation of Republic Act No. 9262. However, the rare exception is if the child has been legally adopted by another and the biological mother decides to take the child. You can also secure protection orders from the court and the barangay. I advise you to go the DSWD office and Women's Desk of the PNP for assistance.

attyLLL

as a parent of the child, she cannot be convicted of kidnapping.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

heartbreaker

Arresto Menor

Thank you clanwolf and attyLLL.

Another thing, can a taped conversation be admissible in court for the ra 9262 charges? The father was unaware that the conversation was taped.

Lastly, what are the most useful evidence for the ra 9262? We want to make it very very difficult for the father to gain custody and get away with the physical, emotional and psychological abuse.

Thanks!

clanwolf

clanwolf
Arresto Menor

generally, taped conversations must be with the permission of the parties in the recording, otherwise it violates the anti-wiretapping act. i would advise against using it. the best evidences in 9262 include, the marriage certificate and birth certificates to show relationship, medical records, affidavits of witnesses, payslips to indicate income of the spouse, blotters of recorded complaints, etc.
the best way to get sole custody is to file legal separation or annulment of marriage with prayer for sole custody and support.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum