Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Annulment or Divorce

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Annulment or Divorce Empty Annulment or Divorce Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 am

uriel

Arresto Menor

Hi Atty!
I am married to a US citizen. We separated 3 years ago but not divorced. Now, I have a son and my boyfriend wants us to get married. For some reason, my marriage wasn't registered in the Philippines and so I cannot get annulment (according to a public lawyer). The marraige took place in the Phils but it seems like it was fake but already registered in Saipan. I was adviced to get a divorce but then it will only be recognized in the Phils if the foreign spouse does the petition for our divorce. He did file the divorce in Saipan but then failed to show up and continue with the process. Now, he wont do it anymore and is hiding from me. I was thinking that maybe if I demand for alimony then he will be forced to do our divorce but I dont know everything. Please help me. What should I do. My boyfriend and I are having issues now because of this so I am very frustrated. I really want this family for my son. Thank you.

2Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 pm

attyLLL

where is your husband now?

do you have a copy of your marriage certificate? you can have it late-registered through the consulate in saipan.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:59 pm

uriel

Arresto Menor

No, I dont have the copy of the marraige certificate anymore. I checked with the Civil Registrar and NSO but it wasn't registered. It was fake all along. The person I married is in Saipan. He has a girlfriend and kids now and i have my own life as well. I think that he doesnt want to continue the divorce for fear that the court in Saipan finds out that it was fake. Atty, is there any way I can declare the marraige void? Thank you for your time.

4Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 pm

attyLLL

non-registration of the marriage certificate does not make the marriage void, but if there's no record of the marriage, the presumption is that it does not exist.

this is just my opinion, but if you are able to acquire a CENOMAR, then it can be a good faith basis to say that you were never married in case you were charged with bigamy.

5Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:50 pm

uriel

Arresto Menor

Atty, our problem is that we applied for fiancee visa but I was denied because of that marraige. I was able to acquire IR status when I was in Saipan with my husband. So it seems that our marraige was on file of the US immigration that is why I need to somehow annul it. And Im seeking ways, the easiest if possible, to clear my status. Please help. Thank you very much!!

6Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm

attyLLL

the best remedy would be a divorce under US law or an annulment here.

7Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:13 pm

uriel

Arresto Menor

but how am i supposed to do the annulment? a public lawyer told me that it can't be done...was he just being lazy then? what should i tell him? thank you so much for your time!

8Annulment or Divorce Empty Re: Annulment or Divorce Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:11 pm

attyLLL

you will have to produce a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum