Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recognition of Foreign Judgment

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Recognition of Foreign Judgment Empty Recognition of Foreign Judgment Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm

tetski028

Arresto Menor

Hi,

I have filed an annulment here in the philippines.. unfortunately, after a long wait for 3 yrs, it was denied.

I am married to a US citizen here in the philippines. I filed an annulment to have it nulled and void since my ex-husband has left me and we havent communicated since 2004. and I heard that he already settled with a family and kids in the US. He has already filed a divorce 2 yrs ago and our marriage has been dissolved last dec 29, 2010.

My lawyer told me that we can file a recognition of foreign judgment so I could remarry here.

Is that possible? Does it mean that I could be single again? How long usually this case takes?

Thanks,
Tetski028

2Recognition of Foreign Judgment Empty Recognition for Foreign Judgment Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:28 pm

tetski028

Arresto Menor

Also, can someone explain to me what Recognition for Foreign Judgment means.

Thanks,
Tetski028

3Recognition of Foreign Judgment Empty Re: Recognition of Foreign Judgment Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm

rollie002

Arresto Mayor

the law that governs Marriage in every Filipino is the Philippine law. even if a Filipino gets married abroad, the Philippine law applies. What does it mean? Philippine law has no divorce (although the is a pending bill in the congress) it means in the eyes of the law, you are still married, the law that governs your husband is the US law, and in the eyes of law he is divorced and can now marry another. This seems unfair to Filipinos who can not get married while his/her wife/husband can now remarry. So the family code was amended particularly art. 26 par. 2 which now allows Filipino whose husband/wife secured a divorce abroad. You have to petition to recognize the divorce decree here in our country. Once it is recognized, you can now remarry. Otherwise you are still married.
I hope it helps

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum