Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Invalid Marriage

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Invalid Marriage Empty Invalid Marriage Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 am

jona3300

Arresto Menor

Hello all, I have a unique problem that I would like advise on. I was married to my wife in April 2010 in IloIlo, upon my return to the U.S.A I learn that my divorce from a previous marriage did not officially finalize until 2 weeks after my marriage in the Philippines. My lawyer here in the US tells me that I need to remarry in the Philippines so that my current marriage will be valid. My question is this, should we remarry in the Philippines and since we are the same 2 persons,is it necessary to get an annullment for the first marriage? How long would it take? Can we just remarry and carry on with our lives without getting an anullment? If I get the marriage anulled here in the US would that be accepted in the Philippines?
Thanks
Jonathan

2Invalid Marriage Empty Re: Invalid Marriage Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 am

attyLLL

one way to look at it is that your marriage is presumed to be valid until the contrary is proven in court.

if you want to go by the book, then you have to annul the first marriage on the basis of bigamy (didn't your embassy issue a statement that you have eligibility to marry?) then get married again.

the annulment in the USA, if based on bigamy, will be recognized here only after another court case here to prove the annulment proceedings existed.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum