Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Termination process

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Termination process Empty Termination process Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm

ramontilla3

Arresto Menor

I am currently working in a BPO company as a regular employee but after a year they (the management) have decided to require all of us to take the TOEFL iBT exam and they said that this is a client requirement, that we need to at least get a 85 or up overall score. Our country manager then verbally guaranty us not to worry if we get lower than 85, and he added that this is just to gauge us in terms of english language. So all of us took the exam for the first time and 6 out of 24 people failed including myself to get the required score. Now since we didn't make it, they hired a trainor to train us for six weeks and enrolled us under PIP (performance inprovement plan), they handed a paper to sign as an agreement that we need to pass the two mock exams in the training or if not it will lead to higher disciplinary action such final written warning. After the mock exams would be the actual toefl exam and if we fail again it will lead to deliberation and final decision will be termination. Unfortunately, we failed. 2 out of 6 got terminated and the rest were asked to pass a written explanation and then they set another date for the exam. We took the exam for the 3rd time 2 days ago and we are still waiting for the result. Is this the correct process? Even if we know for a fact that they dis not require the test prior joining the company and it is not written in the contract. Also, we are doing our job as instructed, no violations, no issues at all, it s just that this exam is giving us so much stesss and even ruined our future with the company. I just want to know if this is really a ground for termination. Thank you in advance!

2Termination process Empty Re: Termination process Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 am

mikos23

mikos23
Reclusion Perpetua

What is the main point you want to ask?

not passing the TOEFL exam is a grounds for termination? - Yes
if this is the correct process? - which process are you asking about

3Termination process Empty Re: Termination process Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

arnoldventura

Reclusion Perpetua

Your case may be a performance issue, not being able to meet the standards set by the company, which is a management prerogative. Depending on your policies, you may be terminated for not not meeting the work standards. But since you are asking for the just causes for termination (applicable if there is a disciplinary issue against the employee), you may try reading this for better understanding. https://www.alburovillanueva.com/dismissal-termination-employment

4Termination process Empty Re: Termination process Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 am

ramontilla3

Arresto Menor

So if we really didn't able to meet the set score for toefl then we might get terminated? Even if it is not part of our policy before I got regularized? I mean they just impose it recently and we don't have any idea if that is really the client's requirement. We also believed that our manager is the one who suggested this part to the client and to HR.

5Termination process Empty Re: Termination process Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 am

mikos23

mikos23
Reclusion Perpetua

Policies changes. Management have the prerogative to add or change it company policies. What is not feasible yesterday might be needed today.

For your case, before mga client nila is not requiring that you pass TEOFL exam. but now it is the requirement of the company to comply otherwise they will lose the client. You cannot state that di naman talaga yan ang requirement ng client because you are not there during client meetings. Sino bang company ang papahirapan nila sarili nila na kailangan TEOFL passer mga tao nila knowing na di lahat kaya ito and they will also wast resources teaching people, applicants and employees, English just to pass and meet the client requirement.

What you need right now is to concentrate on your studies para pumasa ka sa exam. be glad that you are still there and given the another chance to take the exam.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum