Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

tax exemptions/status should only be used once a year ??

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

femme fatal

Arresto Menor

Hello CPAer's

I just started with my new company\employer this past last week of August. On my 3rd payroll, I noticed that my tax was higher than usual. Below was their reply after requesting clarification.

"The increase in your WTAX deduction this October 14th payroll is due to change of your tax exemption to Zero.

As per tax regulations, tax exemptions/status should only be used once a year.
As per checking, you havee confirmed previous employment prior joining us that’s why your tax exemption has been updated to Zero (since you already claimed your tax exemption from your previous employer.)
Please note however that the purpose of the waiver is to ensure that tax exemption is only use once in a year and not mainly to exempt the employee from incurring tax payable as a result of tax annualization"

Is this true? Even if nothing changed with my civil status, I lost the right to any tax exemption just coz I changed employers?

Would appreciate advice from those who knows and where I can find an official ruling of this in the web? i've emailed BIR but has not received any reply.

Patok

Reclusion Perpetua

Tax exemption should be applied at the end of the year, when you have annualized your tax from your 2 employers for this year.

mikos23

mikos23
Reclusion Perpetua

Actually they explained it wrong, and stated / used the word tax exemption. if they "zeroed" your tax exemption, then it's the wrong process

If you came in your current company in the middle or latter of the year, its SOP for Payroll to re-compute all the taxable income and tax withheld and the possible taxable income for the remaining months. Technical term, annualization of taxes. Once they computed the remaining taxes to withheld, they will ensure that all taxe deductions are evenly distributed on the remaining payroll months instead of deducting it one time from the employee.

Hope this helps

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum