Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

single status bank account to change married status?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

secretive_wife

Arresto Menor

hello, im a wife here in tuguegarao city, i want to ask regarding my bank account. it has been my account since i was single, now that im already married, i want to retain my account just as is, meaning not changing my surname and i plan to retain it for many years in the future until my son who is 9 months old at this moment is old enough to inherit it since it is in compunded interest. Was my plan legal? or am i obligated to change my account with my new surname? Will the bank still process my account even in the future still carrying my single surname? or Can i make a last will testament instead, that this certain account even if it has my single surname will be given to my son in case of my death? is my action legal or the very best solution for this one is really changing my account's surname? thanks in advance.

pasqueflower4

Arresto Menor

hi, it's not obligatory for married Filipino woman to use their husband's surname, rather its optional. This is provided in Article 370 of the Civil Code which states that "A married women may use (1) her maiden first name and surname and add her husband's surname; or (2) her maiden first name and her husband's surname; or (3) her husband's full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as "Mrs."" The use of word "may" implies that you may opt to use your husband's surname or append your husband's surname on your maiden surname. Hence, in your case you may retain your maiden surname until whenever you want to.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum