Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Detained in Africa

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Detained in Africa Empty Detained in Africa Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:29 am

doc_nukem

Arresto Menor

I am a medic working for a seismic vessel on a project in Luanda,Angola.

Last Nov 2010,I was detained by immigration authorities for 4 days and 3 nights allegedly for not paying a fine way back 2009 for overstaying 1 day.I had all the supporting papers including the short term visa.

In December 2009, we were stopped at the immigration because of such offense.The agent paid for the fines, we were cleared and made it to our flights home.

October 2010,at the end of my rotation for another project in Luanda,went through immigration with no problems whatsoever.

November 2010,I was detained in their center and as it is a Saturday and the fines can only be paid in a bank on a Monday.Then when Monday came the agents paid the wrong amount and had to wait another day for processing.

Is it justified to detain me though my papers were in order?Can the immigration authorities be charged?Can I sue the agents?

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

2Detained in Africa Empty Re: Detained in Africa Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm

attyLLL

not sure if you realize this is a forum for philippine law. but if normal principles of conflicts of law apply, you can sue the persons who detained you if they exceeded their authority. but not the national government which detained you.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Detained in Africa Empty Re: Detained in Africa Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:06 pm

doc_nukem

Arresto Menor

sorry just wanted some feedback from a lawyers point of view.like if this thing happened to you.what would be your course of action.
anyway thanks,looks like suing the immigration authorities would be an exercise in futility.
since i am a member of the pinoy.md,just googled if there's something similar for lawyers.
nice forum by the way and more power!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum