Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

is my marriage legal

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1is my marriage legal Empty is my marriage legal Tue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm

mike 48

Arresto Menor

hi
on the 10/10/2016 I was married in the Philippines and signed the necessary paperwork I then learned that the two pastors involved did not have their licences current on the 10/10/2016 and we were asked to return on the 24/10/2016 to resign the marriage certificate we have proof from our marriage venue of the original date, hotel booking etc and our sponsors statements if needed my question is this marriage legal and where or what department I can find out re pastors licence renewals
thanks
mike

2is my marriage legal Empty Re: is my marriage legal Sat May 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Filia

Filia
Reclusion Perpetua

Yes, of course ur marriage is still valid. If you were made to sign a marriage dated later than the actual ceremony, that later date is not valid. The valid marriage is the one actuall celebrated.

One of the essential requisites of a valid marriage is authority of the solemnizing officer. Without it, the marriage would be void. However, if either or both of the party/ies believe that the solemnizing officer is duly authorize, the marriage remains valid.

3is my marriage legal Empty is my marriage legal Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 am

mike 48

Arresto Menor

how could my marriage be legal if the pastors involved were not currently licenced to do so meaning at the date 10th October 16 their licence had either for one of them expired and the other was not issued on that date so to me being asked to come back and sign on the 24th October to cover them cant be correct
thanks
mike

4is my marriage legal Empty Re: is my marriage legal Mon May 23, 2016 11:23 am

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

mike 48 wrote:how could my marriage be legal if the pastors involved were not currently licenced to do so meaning at the date 10th October 16 their licence had either for one of them  expired and the other was not issued on that date so to me being asked to come back and sign on the 24th October to cover them cant be correct
thanks
mike

What filia meant to point out is that there are Supreme Court cases that were decided that laid down the principle that it does not matter if the solemnizing officer weren't duly authorized, as long as the couple being wed believed in that moment that such officers are indeed authorized. While the law may provide that one of the essential requisites of a valid marriage is lacking (therefore void), cases have provided exceptions to such rule. Your case might belong to the said exception, hence Filia's answer.

It would be best for you to consult a lawyer. If you seek free legal advice, you may want to go to the nearest City or Municipal hall and go to the Public Attorney's Office.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum