Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Repairs on Condominium Unit

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Repairs on Condominium Unit Empty Repairs on Condominium Unit Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Johngokongwei

Arresto Menor

We are tenants of a Condominium unit and there is a leak on the unit below us.

The Condominium admin has done multiple flood test to determine if the leak is from our unit. We were told that the leak is from behind the walls and they would need access to our unit.

The unit owner doesn't seem to want to pay for the damages and I think it would be unfair if we shoulder the expenses given that the damage was not of our negligence.

Fast forward a couple of months, the unit below us have already vacated their unit because of the foul smell from the leak. The admin has requested us to move to a temporary space for 14 days to do repairs.

Is there a document that we can undertake with both the unit owner and the admin whereas we won't be held liable for the
1. Repair costs whatever the outcome may be
2. If the repair done will not fix the issue permanently and recur
3. If the unit owner doesn't think that the repair done has defaced his unit.

Thank you.

2Repairs on Condominium Unit Empty Re: Repairs on Condominium Unit Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

I don't know what deal the condo union have, but it's common with:
/the condo owner pay if the leak is from a pipe VISSIBLE in the condo (=in FRONT of the wall)
/while the condo union pay if the leak STARTS inside a wall or above the cealing.
It's rather common both with leaking pipes in walls, and leaking ROOFS but the water from the roof leak go behind the wall to down under. So perhaps they don't need to break your wall to find the leak... (But it can be needed to tear down PART of the wall anyway to dry out YOUR wall. But such costs belong normaly to the condo union (except perhaps painting and wallpaper repair after the wall is replaced).

3Repairs on Condominium Unit Empty Re: Repairs on Condominium Unit Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Johngokongwei

Arresto Menor

Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to think that they won't charge us for the repairs but I just want to have an assurance that they won't. What type of document should I prepare so to cover my bases?

4Repairs on Condominium Unit Empty Re: Repairs on Condominium Unit Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

Johngokongwei wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to think that they won't charge us for the repairs but I just want to have an assurance that they won't. What type of document should I prepare so to cover my bases?
Read the condo union rules
and the condo contract with the condo union.

There it's suppoused to tell where the border goes between who is responcible for different things. If it say the condo union pay, but they demand pay anyway, then you can just refuse to pay and refer to where you read it.
If the condo owner haven't agreed to something else, then the condo owner is NORMALY suppoused to be responible only for things he can have effect on. That's why the condo union normaly are responcible for pipes insiide the walls, so PERHAPS it's possible to winn a case even if the documents don't tell the condo union is responcible.

Sometimes it's a BUILDERS fault, but that's up to the condo union to handle and claim.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum