Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

***Apartment Rental Increase****

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1***Apartment Rental Increase**** Empty ***Apartment Rental Increase**** Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 pm

akustik82

Arresto Menor

Hello Attorneys,

Currently, my cousing is leasing an apartment unit in Negros Oriental for Php 4,000/month. The landlord is planning to impose an additional Php 1,000 a month on the current rental rate.

I just happen to browse thru the net and saw this provision from the Rent Control Act of 2009:
"For a period of one (1) year from its effectivity, no increase shall be imposed upon the rent of any residential unit covered by this Act.. Provided, that after such period until December 31, 20l3, the rent of any residential unit covered by this Act shall not be increased by more than seven (7%) annually as long as the unit is occupied by the same lessee..."

My cousing has been leasing the apartment unit since 2008, before the new rental law was enacted.

If my calculation is correct, 7% of Php 4,000 is around Php 280. Therefore, would it be legal to impose a sudden increase of Php 1,000 on my cousin's current monthly rental rate of Php 4,000?

Thank you for your time reading this message. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
RPA

2***Apartment Rental Increase**** Empty Re: ***Apartment Rental Increase**** Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 pm

attyLLL

good for you for researching your own. you are correct, the law prohibits an increase of more than 7%. I recommend your cousin courteously gives a copy to his landlord. unfortunately, he should be prepared to hold onto the unit against the will of the landlord if he wants to fight it out.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3***Apartment Rental Increase**** Empty Re: ***Apartment Rental Increase**** Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 am

akustik82

Arresto Menor

thank you very much, attorney.
this site is really a big help for laymen like me.
keep on your noble work!

god bless and more power,
RPA

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum