Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

changing the religion to marry someone despite of legally married as chriistian

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Neyhl

Arresto Menor

Hi.. my husband recently converted as muslim to marry someone. is it allowed? what happens to our Christian marriage? is it automatically void? what case I can file to them? and where can I get their marriage contract as muslim? please help...  

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

Neyhl wrote:Hi.. my husband recently converted as muslim to marry someone. is it allowed? what happens to our Christian marriage? is it automatically void? what case I can file to them? and where can I get their marriage contract as muslim? please help...  

This is the cheeky way men could do! They convert to Islamic in order to get out of the previous marriage and be allowed to get married again to other women. If his conversion is done with faith then he is allowed to do so, but if he is doing it for the sake of marrying another woman then it's a sin! Islamic has way of knowing their sincerity to their religion as they have to pass various stage before they can be regards as one! If he is dedicated to his new religion then nothing you can do to stop him from marrying his new woman. Your married is still valid as you will be regarded as the first wife but being converted this give him rights to divorce you! As Muslim has divorce in their religion I'm afraid!  silent

dianna0156

Arresto Menor

may professor akong muslim. diniscuss nya samen yan. sabi nya, dapat ang 2nd marriage ng lalaki is with the consent of the first wife.. hehehe.. i am so sure sinabi nya yun but im not sure kung my connection din yun sa legalities ng kasal. MSU kasi skul ko, run by muslims so medyo napag usapan namen yun..

Neyhl

Arresto Menor

Thanks for your reply dianne.. yeah ive heard about that. It must have a consent from the first wife. Better for me if he will give me a divorce rather than filing an annulment

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

dianna0156 wrote:may professor akong muslim. diniscuss nya samen yan. sabi nya, dapat ang 2nd marriage ng lalaki is with the consent of the first wife.. hehehe.. i am so sure sinabi nya yun but im not sure kung my connection din yun sa legalities ng kasal. MSU kasi skul ko, run by muslims so medyo napag usapan namen yun..

Not quite right! It's possible if the first wife is also a Muslim one, but she is a Christian, so her approval has got nothing to do with him marrying another woman under his new religion. This approval only refers to Muslim first wife I'm afraid! So wish you luck that he will agree to divorce you! You need a strategy like file a case under RA9262, who knows if you're lucky enough, he might divorce you because he does not want trouble!

Remember Robin Padilla's case? (Correct me if I'm wrong!) he is married before and in order to marry his other wife he converted into Islam.

Neyhl

Arresto Menor

Thank you so much for the reply atty. It enlightens me

dianna0156

Arresto Menor

ah oo tama..hindi ko naisip yun. pero, baka sila dalawa kelangan mag convert to islam para mkapag divorce sila? kasi walang divorce sa christian tapos sa christian sila kinasal.. hahahaha.. ang gulo! but so interesting.. hehehe.. curiousity lang to pakikisawsaw ko actually..hehe

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

dianna0156 wrote:ah oo tama..hindi ko naisip yun. pero, baka sila dalawa kelangan mag convert to islam para mkapag divorce sila? kasi walang divorce sa christian tapos sa christian sila kinasal.. hahahaha.. ang gulo! but so interesting.. hehehe.. curiousity lang to pakikisawsaw ko actually..hehe

Technically, this is very similar with a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner.

1) If it is the Filipino spouse who initiates or files the divorce action against the alien spouse, the subsequent divorce will not be recognized here in the Philippines. If that Filipino gets married here again, he or she will be liable for bigamy.

2) However, if it is the alien spouse who initiates or files the divorce action, Article 26 of the Family Code will apply. The divorce will be recognized here in the Philippines; if the said divorce allows the former alien spouse to remarry, the Filipino will also have the right to remarry under Philippine law. That is, after the foreign divorce decree is recognized by a Philippine court; more on this below.

Meaning, if he converted into Muslim where they have divorce, only the Muslim husband can divorce his Christian wife but the Christian wife cannot divorce him. So it's better for her to do a smart move! If she sue him for RA9262 this will annoy her hubby, who knows? This might be the ticket to her freedom!
GOOD LUCK ANYWAY!!!  Wink 

Neyhl

Arresto Menor

May God help me. Thank you atty for the idea. Was not aware of robin padilla's case

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum