Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Thu May 01, 2014 9:40 am

anonymouslyyours

Arresto Menor

I have been working for a US owned company for 3 yrs now. Lately, I have been getting sick and was in-out of work due to frequency of checkups and some hospitalizations. My cardiologist told me that my condition is stress-induced and that it would help if I had the facility to work at home so she wrote a med cert stating the same. I gave this to the company and they wanted me to file a Medical leave instead of providing me a facility to work at home. I did not take that option since I will not have funds to support my sickness and that I can still work given my condition. Given that I cannot work at home, I tried my best to report for work. However, one day, I saw an email from a colleague of the same level who states that he will work at home bec his stomach is aching. I felt some discrimination given that mine is supported by a medcert and was not given consideration.

Few months after, I was able to recuperate and get back to the office. Since I am a salaried/exempt employee, I was under the impression that when I report at work from 6am-3pm and come out early (say 2pm), there is no need for me to file offsetting. This is because I still answer emails /office calls via mobile after this time.

I have 2 questions sir/madam,

1. If the company states that working at home is really not an option, shouldnt this be an option not available for ALL?

2. As a salaried/exempt employee, do I need to file offsetting of hours. Is it right that I get deductions from my salary if I do not render 8 hrs of work on a particular day at the office, but still render work after I leave?

Please advise. Thank you so much.

2EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty Re: EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

anonymouslyyours wrote:I have been working for a US owned company for 3 yrs now. Lately, I have been getting sick and was in-out of work due to frequency of checkups and some hospitalizations. My cardiologist told me that my condition is stress-induced and that it would help if I had the facility to work at home so she wrote a med cert stating the same. I gave this to the company and they wanted me to file a Medical leave instead of providing me a facility to work at home. I did not take that option since I will not have funds to support my sickness and that I can still work given my condition. Given that I cannot work at home, I tried my best to report for work. However, one day, I saw an email from a colleague of the same level who states that he will work at home bec his stomach is aching. I felt some discrimination given that mine is supported by a medcert and was not given consideration.

Few months after, I was able to recuperate and get back to the office. Since I am a salaried/exempt employee, I was under the impression that when I report at work from 6am-3pm and come out early (say 2pm), there is no need for me to file offsetting. This is because I still answer emails /office calls via mobile after this time.

I have 2 questions sir/madam,

1. If the company states that working at home is really not an option, shouldnt this be an option not available for ALL?

2. As a salaried/exempt employee, do I need to file offsetting of hours. Is it right that I get deductions from my salary if I do not render 8 hrs of work on a particular day at the office, but still render work after I leave?

Please advise. Thank you so much.

1. The matter must be clarified first as there may be a reason for allowing one to work from home but not another. You cannot assume on this.

2. It may be difficult to determine if you actually do any work after you leave, so you may have to prove it first before you get paid for it. In the meantime unless otherwise approved, it may be correct to deduct your undertime.

http://www.councilviews.com

3EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty Re: EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 pm

anonymouslyyours

Arresto Menor

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Appreciate it.

4EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty Re: EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Thu May 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Patok

Reclusion Perpetua

Unless it is agreed up front, you can not assume offsetting of time is allowed. Also - who told you to render work after office hours?

5EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty Re: EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 am

anonymouslyyours

Arresto Menor

@Patok -

I have a company phone and emails are sent to me even after office, most of them requires me to respond immediately. Shouldn't this be considered work after office hours as required of me, given that I was given a company phone?

6EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Empty Re: EXEMPT or SALARIED Employees Sat May 10, 2014 3:09 pm

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

anonymouslyyours wrote:@Patok -

I have a company phone and emails are sent to me even after office, most of them requires me to respond immediately. Shouldn't this be considered work after office hours as required of me, given that I was given a company phone?

You can't quantify hours answering emails on a phone.

http://www.councilviews.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum