Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

ORAL DEFAMATION? (office) need advice

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ORAL DEFAMATION? (office) need advice Empty ORAL DEFAMATION? (office) need advice Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:34 pm

asymptotes14

Arresto Menor

hi everyone,
gusto ko lang magtanung about sa workplace incidents

so ganito ang situation

(inside office training room)
1. we started a groupchat, and almost everyone inside the training room is a part of it
2. 5 main people are involved and reported to HR because of the chat
3. here's what happened in the chat:
-peter asked carla over the chat if "nakascore ka ba kagabi?"
-a lot of people have their own reactions to it and said it over chat
-clearly all were making fun of the particular situation and making it look like a funny thing too discuss
-carla answered and making herself part of the fun
-words like, "malandi ka", "nakakadiri ka", "ang arte mo" "pitikin ko tinggil mo" were used by peter directly to carla
-carla on the other hand has no violent reaction regarding such words, she would just type "hahahha","ganon talaga" and such
-after more chats, more bullying was seen inside the chatroom, name dropping, statements like "WANTED YAYA", and someone would answer "carla apply na!"
- everyone was having fun but this time carla was not anymore replying, so everyone stopped making fun of her
- until such time that a certain topic would be brought up reminding us of her and posting again "kape kape din kabahan ka!"

4. this was the scenario
5. carla later that afternoon had the whole chat conversations reported to HR Department.

6. i would like to know what are the possible things that could happen to peter and 5 other involved in the chat bullying carla, knowing that we are bound by the company's handbook to saying profane words towards others.

7. what counter-measures can peter do in order to protect himself as well as the others who are involved.

any help guys?

concepab

concepab
Reclusion Perpetua

IMO, In this case company rules will be applied. mahaba-habang written explanation yan. hahaha

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

asymptotes14 wrote:hi everyone,
gusto ko lang magtanung about sa workplace incidents

so ganito ang situation

(inside office training room)
1. we started a groupchat, and almost everyone inside the training room is a part of it
2. 5 main people are involved and reported to HR because of the chat
3. here's what happened in the chat:
  -peter asked carla over the chat if "nakascore ka ba kagabi?"
  -a lot of people have their own reactions to it and said it over chat
  -clearly all were making fun of the particular situation and making it look like a funny thing too discuss
 -carla answered and making herself part of the fun
 -words like, "malandi ka", "nakakadiri ka", "ang arte mo" "pitikin ko tinggil mo" were used by peter directly to carla
 -carla on the other hand has no violent reaction regarding such words, she would just type "hahahha","ganon talaga" and such
 -after more chats, more bullying was seen inside the chatroom, name dropping, statements like "WANTED YAYA", and someone would answer "carla apply na!"
- everyone was having fun but this time carla was not anymore replying, so everyone stopped making fun of her
- until such time that a certain topic would be brought up reminding us of her and posting again "kape kape din kabahan ka!"

4. this was the scenario
5. carla later that afternoon had the whole chat conversations reported to HR Department.

6. i would like to know what are the possible things that could happen to peter and 5 other involved in the chat bullying carla, knowing that we are bound by the company's handbook to saying profane words towards others.

7. what counter-measures can peter do in order to protect himself as well as the others who are involved.

any help guys?

Peter, as well as the others who participated, are in a bind in that situation. As employees, they are bound by the company handbook that contains the rules and regulations indicated therein for their compliance. The company, as provided by law, is free to make their own rules as long as it does not violate the corporation code or any other laws applicable in the Philippines.

Peter's defense should stem from the fact that the office chat online was made "in good fun" and "no ill intentions were present with all the chatroom members". It is a battle of testimonial evidence between Peter & co. vs Carla, the aggrieved in this situation. However, Carla's situation is stronger since the chat messages imply that there was indeed bullying by using such words that are clearly prohibited accdg. to the company handbook.

In truth and in fact, there were wounded feelings because of such teasing done in the workplace. The best action, in my humble opinion, for Peter and the others is to personally apologize to Carla and make amends with her. They should also submit a written report of the incident to the HR, and apologize to the HR as well for causing such unfortunate office shenanigans.

Mitigating the damage done is, for me, the best way to deal with such situation. Peter and co. should be humble enough to admit their mistake, while Carla should do well not to make this situation more complicated by accepting their apologies and also exercising her own due diligence in avoiding such unnecessary chatter inside the workplace.

The aforementioned statements are my take on the matter, and I hope I helped clear things up...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum