Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

How will I know if my husband already filed for a petition of annulment against me?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

f_marychris

Arresto Menor

Good day atty.
I am married to an American who's working in one of the Muslim countries right now. He's been there for almost 3 months and has a year contract. We had problems during our marriage. I had known from a friend that he is going to file for an annulment.
I have read that it is possible for a petitioner to file for an annulment in the province or city where the petitioner has been residing for at least six months prior to the date of filing. So, this would mean that he can file the petition for annulment in the place where he is working right now after 3-4months, right? In that case, how will I know if he already filed for the petition (assuming he will put a wrong address for the service summon or if he will find a way so that i will not be informed)? Where should i inquire? He's not talking to me for months already so there's a possibility that he will file for the annulment w/o my knowledge. Could i still file for another case or contest later on even if there's a decision made by the court(assuming that i wasn't notified about the petition)? What's the grace period for me to file for the case (is that what you called reinstatement of the case?)?
I am living in the Philippines .

attyLLL

the law you are quoting is from philippine law.

if i were his lawyer, i would file for divorce under US law. in practically all states, he is required to show that a copy of the petition was served on you.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3How will I know if my husband already filed for a petition of annulment against me? Empty re: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 am

f_marychris

Arresto Menor

attyLLL wrote:the law you are quoting is from philippine law.

if i were his lawyer, i would file for divorce under US law. in practically all states, he is required to show that a copy of the petition was served on you.

thank you for the reply atty.

if that would be the case, there's no possibility that he could file for a divorce w/o knowledge?

attyLLL

not properly at least. what we do is to send a letter to the spouse to establish the address. that way they can't make it up.

f_marychris

Arresto Menor

attyLLL wrote:the law you are quoting is from philippine law.

by the way atty, we were married in the philippines. would that still be binding if he would file divorce under US law since the marriage took place in the phils? if yes, isnt there a need for him to file a petition here in the phils?

attyLLL

it will be valid as to him. if one of you wants it to be recognized here in PH, then a separate petition has to be filed here

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum