Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lawyer failed to return funds

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Lawyer failed to return funds Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:00 pm

echelon

Arresto Menor

I was purchasing a property via a bank loan. Since there are issues with the titles for the target property and issues are of complex nature, I got myself a lawyer to handle the documentation and necessary processing. Besides, I am an OFW and always out of the country - and I thought that it makes better sense to get services of a lawyer. She seemed to be very well versed in real estate transactions including negotiations with sellers in haggling the price. Before I flew out of the country, I entrusted my equity to my lawyer - hoping to be in a good position to negotiate the price further when the seller sees cold cash. According to my lawyer, this strategy has always worked in her dealings in real estate. My release and her receipt of the funds is documented. Unfortunately, the transaction did not materialize. Instead of returning my money, she used it as downpayment for the property that her sister is acquiring. Apparently, she told us that her sister's seller to whom she issued a check, encashed the check in advance (or rediscounted) and withdrawn my moeny as part of that. It is taking us 6 weeks already in chasing her for the money. That money is all we've got as family savings. She has been switching off her cellphone whenever the promised time approaches. We are getting worried that she could easily throw away her SIM card. We don't know where she lives. We don't have any other contact numbers aside from that cellphone number. She is holding office near our city hall, though. We are planning to place a complaint at IBP office against her. We think this is the best option we have at the moment. Hope you could give some of your valuable advice to us regarding this matter. What is the best step to take? Regards.

2Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:44 am

attyLLL

i recommend that you send a demand letter to her first, but you can indeed file a complaint at the IBP

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:25 am

echelon

Arresto Menor

Thanks for the response, Atty. Have sent her a letter demanding for the return of money within 5 days. If, after 5 days, nothing is done, can I bring this matter already to IBP? Could you please brief me on the IBP process regarding complaints such as this in terms of the steps and average duration that it usually takes? Thanks in advance po.

4Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm

attyLLL

the rules are at the ibp website.

5Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 pm

echelon

Arresto Menor

Hi, attyLLL.

We went to the IBP chapter to file sana a complaint against our lawyer but we were told that we have to look for another lawyer to file the complaint directly to IBP Main.

Apparently, our lawyer was once an officer in the said IBP chapter and had almost everyone as a ninong/ninang of her children and so noone can offer any help to us.

We were also informed that there are a lot of complaints already against the very same lawyer for similar case (i.e. estafa/fraud/bp22) and that we can verify these from SC.

We feel helpless na - what would you recommend as next step? All we want is to get back our money from her the soonest. Yun lang kasi ang savings ng family namin and yun lang ang kakapitan namin if ever may dumating na emergency sa family.

6Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:19 pm

echelon

Arresto Menor

By the way pala, after the demand letter lapsed, she gave us a promissory note confirming payment on or before July 29, 2011. But she did not make any payments at all. So, basically, we don't have anything at our hands to hold on to. Should we again ask for another promissory note?

7Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:53 pm

attyLLL

yes, the rules indicate that the complaint has to be filed at the IBP in Pasig City. you will indeed have a hard time getting a lawyer. that promissory note was an attempt to convert her obligation to a loan.

8Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

echelon

Arresto Menor

given the situation, what would you recommend? it is very sad to hear/read some confirmation/justification for being so helpless at this time. Would approaching a private lawyer from the same province make any difference in this case? Or it won't since the rest of the IBP members in this chapter are linked to her? Appreciate your best recommendation pls...

what is the implication of her attempt to convert her obligation to a loan? We are planning to file a case of estafa against her sana.

9Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 pm

attyLLL

you can file your complaint via registered mail. you'll have to sign it yourself. that's what other lawyers do when they accept cases against their co-lawyers.

if you agreed to convert her obligation to return the money into a promissory note, then it became a loan and a case of estafa might no longer prosper. but i believe an admin case at ibp will

10Lawyer failed to return funds Empty Re: Lawyer failed to return funds Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:20 pm

echelon

Arresto Menor

Thank you so much for the valuable insights.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum