Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Qualified theft but the accused is now overseas

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tedsanwa

Arresto Menor

My sister was accused of qualified theft by her ex-boyfriend but she is now working overseas when she received the complaint. She was accused of stealing and holding passport, US ID's and USD1,000. My questions are: (1) what will happen to the case if my sister is in another country, (2) can she still defend herself even if she is not physically present, (3) can the case be dismissed if she is not in the Philippines.

I hope you can answer my questions.

Thank you in advance.

lOst_StuDent

Prision Correccional

1. The case may still be filed in the court. If there is probable cause, the judge will issue a warrant of arrest. Since you sister is abroad, the warrant will not be served but it will remain outstanding.

2 and 3. To effectively defend herself, she must submit to the court's jurisdiction. If she is not arraigned, the case will not proceed. However, there are motions that can be filed to quash the warrant of arrest or dismiss the case.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum