Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marriage. Divorce and Legalities

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Marriage. Divorce and Legalities Empty Marriage. Divorce and Legalities Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Laniechoi

Arresto Menor

Good Day !

Our 1st wedding was in June 1993 here in PH. By 1995 my husband went to the US through his parents petition. He worked at the US Army. He did not declare his married status. Instead he inquired on how he will be able to petition us.The commanding officer said we should get married. So in June of 1997 he came back to the Philippines and we got married again through a judge in Cavite. By 1998 of March we were sent a transit Visa to Korea and then go to the US. Unfortunately my kids and i were not allowed to fly to the US through the US AirForce. By 2000 he has been asking a divorce but i declined he kept writing to me and said that he will help out with all the kids expenses until college.So i agreed , i was called at the US Embassy ,the divorce was approved.
We were never annulled here in the Philippines. As i understand the marriage he divorced was the 2nd one. I still use his surname here in the Philippines. Whose marriage is legal.i believe he only got married in the US after the divorce.In case anything bad happens to me , will they inform him. Do we (my children and myself ) have a share on anything that he has since he started working at the US Army. Its been many many years since we've had any communication.
Can i go to the US Embassy to seek for advice? How do i do this? This crossed my mind since i have been very sickly these past few months. Btw , i was only given a photocopy of the divorce paper.
I hope somebody will be able to help me and give me advice on this matter. Thank you very much!

2Marriage. Divorce and Legalities Empty Re: Marriage. Divorce and Legalities Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 pm

thepoetsedge

thepoetsedge
Reclusion Perpetua

If the divorce was approved in the US, it is yet to be recognized in the PH courts since you need to file a judicial recognition of foreign divorce in the PH courts in order for the divorce to be acknowledged. In effect, the divorce might be effective on his behalf in the US, but it is still binding here in the PH,.

You need to hire a law firm who are well-versed in civil law and US law (depending on which state he is in) that will handle your case. It is better if they have connections in the state that your husband lives in, so that they can verify the divorce decree handed down by the US court. The law firm will also assess all your evidences on hand and see what course of action is best suited with regards to your situation.

Good luck.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum