Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

which is the truth? why law offices have different interpretation? (separation of property)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

free

Arresto Menor

to the lawyers,

i realized that not all lawyers are the same in terms of interpretations of the law.

situation: a married couple in 2015 without prenuptial agreement likes to separate respective properties (absolute community)

interpretations of different law offices;

lawyer 1: affidavit of waiver of rights to the exclusive property
lawyer 2: voluntary separation of property judicial

what is the correct law on this?

karl704

Reclusion Temporal

There might be exclusive properties which the spouses respectively own. Just because the property relations of the spouses is absolute community, doesnt mean all their properties are conjugal. So if they want to really divide equally, they can waive all exclusive properties then divide it into two thru a voluntary sepration of property.

But lawyers indeed may have different strategies in dealing with a legal problem. Law is not science.

free

Arresto Menor

thanks for the input but maybe if you can help me clear some confusions with my specific situation below;

1. the law says that when husband and wife are married, properties (specific: acquired through own funds during single and title named to their single status names) are considered part of the absolute community regime (no prenuptial upon marriage). is this true?

2. i don't intend to divide the properties, but rather separate the titled properties that are named to husband and wife that they brought in the marriage. my specific question is; does an affidavit of waiver of rights applicable on this scenario? because my interpretation is that there is only one way to separate these specific properties through the "voluntary judicial separation".

3. how about for properties that are ongoing amortization that are also brought inside the marriage? and the payment of the amortization is exclusively done by the husband who is the one working...how can the husband separate this type of property upon completion of the amortization?

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

1. YES. For marriages after August 3, 1988.

2. NO. Plus, spouses cannot make grants of gratuitous advantage to each other during the marriage except for moderate gifts during times of family rejoicing.

3. TECHNICALLY, the amortizations are being paid out of COMMUNITY PROPERTY. The husband's salary is not HIS alone, it's community property.

free

Arresto Menor

hi JAdis...thanks for the clear and concise answers!

going back to #2, i re-emphasized it because a certain paralegal consultant is insisting that the waiver of rights can be used to separate the properties and even claiming that she had previous similar clients.

what will happen if for example the waiver of rights is signed by the spouses, but later when the couple separates, will the law void this waiver of rights?

Jadis

Jadis
Reclusion Perpetua

Just because you can do that does not mean someone will not complain and have that invalidated later on.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum