Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Family law and paternity

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Family law and paternity Empty Family law and paternity Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:32 pm

gazmister

Arresto Menor

Hi . I am a British citizen married to a Philippine lady in Singapore. Our marriage is registered in Philippines and my wife's passport IC etc all carry my surname
My wife is pregnant and I am not the biological father. I love my wife very much and want to raise the child as my own.
The biological father want the child to be registered as his and use his surname .
Under Philippine law I just wanted to check if this was possible as my wife and I are legally married. I seem to remember being told some time ago that any child born within a marriage only recognises the husband as the father, irrespective of whether he is the biological father
Any advise appreciated

2Family law and paternity Empty Re: Family law and paternity Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:18 pm

gazmister

Arresto Menor

Last edited by gazmister on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

3Family law and paternity Empty Re: Family law and paternity Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am

attyLLL

The advise to you is correct. A child born in a marriage is presumed to be the child of the husband, and only the husband has the legal right to question it. At least the law in PH is that way, not sure in other jurisdictions.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

4Family law and paternity Empty Family law and paternity philippines a Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 pm

gazmister

Arresto Menor

Hi

So if the child is born while both parents are legally married, even if the husband isn't the biological father he has legal rights.

Can the biological father challenge the husband over paternity - and can the biological father enter his details on the birth certificate.

Am not sure of Philippine laws - but I assume someone would question why a married woman registers a birth and the father isn't the husband ???

5Family law and paternity Empty Re: Family law and paternity Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:41 am

attyLLL

if the local civil registrar knows that the woman is married, they will or should refuse to allow the registration of a father other than the husband. the other guy has no rights in this situation.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

6Family law and paternity Empty Re: Family law and paternity Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:53 am

gazmister

Arresto Menor

Thanks ..and I assume in Manila when registering birth my wife will have to show her I D which carries my last name and has her status as married

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum